dieseling - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 03, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

After 36 years of using my 1967 RS Sport, it has recently started to diesel. My Rochester 2-bbl was rebuilt about 8 mos. ago, but my problem just started 1 month ago. My timing is set a 8 deg. BTDC, idle is at 700 rpm. Engine is 327 210 HP. What can I check to fix this problem? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 03, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Welcome to the club!!

The reason for the dieseling is run on due to maybe some carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and/or idle set alittle too high. Idle speed for a manual with A/C on is 500 rpm. Auto trans w/A/C on is 600 rpm.

First thing I would do would be to leave the trans in gear and stop the engine under load.

Secondly, go to a reputable dealer or parts house and purchase a can of BG 44K and add it to the tank right before fill-up.

Thirdly, if it still does it, run a pint or so of water through the carb while maintaining good engine speed. Pour in water lightly so as not to drown it, but, enough to do some cleaning. Water turns into steam, steam removes the carbon from the combustion chamber, engines does tend to run alittle better.

Hope the above works, maybe others here will chime in with their suggestions....

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 03, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech

A misting bottle from a spent household spray cleaner works well for putting water down the carb.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 03, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy
A little trans fluid (dexron) down the carb works well too!!! --course the neighbors may call the fire dept. from all the smoke!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 03, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech

yes!!! the tranny fluid in the carb is good! we played a joke on a friend of ours at school that way by pouring about a half a quart in the gas tank so he smoked the whole place out when he left .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 03, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I want to thank you all for your suggestions. My fix was the simple one. I adjusted my timing back up to 6 deg. BTDC and my idle to 600 rpm from 700 rpm. So far that has done the trick. I'm going ahead anyway and add the BG-44K gas treatment just to be on the safe side. Thanks again to all.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 03, 09:11 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

another good carbon remover is a product called "seafoam", when i was a mechanic back in the day, we'd get a car that had carbon related problems, pour a can of this down the carb (per instructions), and it helped tremendously. it does smoke like crazy though, so don't do it in the garage. we used to get it from napa, i'm pretty sure they still carry it. hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode