clutch problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 03, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I have a 99 SS with 6 speed
All of a sudden I am having problems shifting,hard to get into gear or it makes a slight grinding noise.It also makes a noise in 1 st gear while stopped and acts like it wants to creep.If you put it netrual and let out the clutch the noise goes away.I have 110,000 miles on it ,and the fluid in the Hyd. clutch tank is black,like its been contaminated and the seals won't let the clutch fully disengage.Any Ideas or simular experience would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 03:50 AM
Tech Team
Geoff

Sounds like the Pressure plate has gone bad. Same thing happened to my 94 Camaro and it was the pressure plate.

Geoff

69 Z28/RS - X33 D80 - Fathom Green - 729 Ivory Houndstooth Deluxe interior - 49k orig miles

SYMPTOM 7:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 06:58 PM

could be a worn pressure plate, but first i'd flush the fluid and check the adjustment. you'll want to do this anyway, since the fluid's black, so you may as well do it first, and see if thats the problem before you drop your transmission. the pressure plate is supposed to last the life of the clutch, but it's not always going to, and sometimes people reuse them with a new clutch plate.
its always best to buy the kit and replace all the components at once so you dont have to get back in there.
if you have a seal problem, normally they leak, and if the master or the slave are about to go, flushing the fluid may accelerate this so you know while its in the garage, rather than far from home.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ohcscott:
could be a worn pressure plate, but first i'd flush the fluid and check the adjustment. you'll want to do this anyway, since the fluid's black, so you may as well do it first, and see if thats the problem before you drop your transmission. the pressure plate is supposed to last the life of the clutch, but it's not always going to, and sometimes people reuse them with a new clutch plate.
its always best to buy the kit and replace all the components at once so you dont have to get back in there.
if you have a seal problem, normally they leak, and if the master or the slave are about to go, flushing the fluid may accelerate this so you know while its in the garage, rather than far from home.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ohcscott:
The problem only happens when the trans is hot like sitting in stop and go traffic for a long time or highway driving for a while. The clutch doesn't slip going through the gears hard but downshifting to 3rd with the power on it will.its at the dealer and they couldn't get it to duplicate so they are servicing the trans and flushing the Hydralics.I don't know if an adjustment can be made I thought I heard it was self adjusting.What about a center force setup ?

thanks again for the responce
Dan Sewell
[email protected] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode