Engine Light Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I have a 1988 Iroc Z with a 350 in it and the engine light is on, it reads code 12 (distributor). I had a used distriutor put on it, could both be bad or could it be something else? I had 4 or 5 other codes before but I changed a bunch of parts and had the motor rebuilt since and this code is all that is left. The car runs fine except it is hard to start in the morning and pop's if you get on it when it's cold. It also reaks of gas, but no leaks and runs really rich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

Code 12 is not a "trouble" code.

It simply means the computer is in diagnostic mode and ready to "talk".

No problem there.

As far as your fuel problem, you need to do a fuel pressure and injector drop test.
If the injectors leak down over night, it would do what you're describing.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 10-23-2001).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

A code 12 means the ecm is not receiving reference pulses from the ignition system.You always see it when your pulling codes because the engine is not running.Having it flash code 12 at least lets you know the computer is responding to the diagnostic mode your putting it in by jumping a-b together in aldl connector.You didn't say if the light was on with the engine running?It should always be on with the key on engine off.This year tpi system has a cold start injector.It works only below 100 degrees and for a max time of about 12 seconds.It's controlled by a thermal time switch.Maybe thats the cause of your hard starting.The hard starting can also be caused by a bad fuel pump relay.As a back up to this relay GM wired the oil pressure sending unit into fuel pump relay circuit in case relay failed.When the engine is cranked it takes a little bit to get oil pressure then the sender circuit will power up fuel pump.Let us know what you find.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 01, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Yes the engine light is ALWAYS on when the car is started.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 01, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech

Are you sure you don't have other codes besides code 12??Like I stated code 12 means the ecm is not receiving an ignition reference signal there for the engine would not start.Yours runs so there has to be something else.Why did you change distributors?Do you still have the old one?Maybe the distributor you have in there now has the wrong module.Are you letting the codes flash out 3 times each while checking?How are you checking? Scanner or shorting A-B together in aldl connector?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Yes I am positive that 12 is the one and the only one, they flash three times and it did the same thing with the old distributor and that is why I changed it. This is why I am so confused, I just don't get it! The code reader is a cheap Wal mart brand. The only other thing that I can think of is possibly a wiring problem because the cooling fans have been acting up as well as fuse box problems. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode