Edelbrock Quadrajet - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 03, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Misha

Red face

Here's a good one....
Has anyone changed the stock accelerator pump plunger that comes with a #1901 Edelbrock Quadrajet with the "Hi Perf Plunger" #1982?

It looks a whole lot shorter than the standard one, and I'm not sure if I have to start bending rods, etc, to get this thing to work.

I'm looking to get that additional pump shot to get rid of an "off-idle bog / backfire" condition, so I figured this is the way to go.

Any takers?????? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Mike
69 Camaro Z27
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 03, 11:57 PM
Tech Team

ok , i had this same problem.
i have a part number and the way to do it at home. when i get in about 4 hours i will get back to you. very simple.
talk to you soon.
Vinny
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Misha

OK!!!! Thanks Vinny!!

Mike
69 Camaro Z27
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 06, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Re: Edelbrock Quadrajet

Dang, Vinny; that's a long 4 hours
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Misha

Yeah man!

And I'm still waiting!!!

Mike
69 Camaro Z27
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Edelbrock Quadrajet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ss350 View Post
Here's a good one....
Has anyone changed the stock accelerator pump plunger that comes with a #1901 Edelbrock Quadrajet with the "Hi Perf Plunger" #1982?

It looks a whole lot shorter than the standard one, and I'm not sure if I have to start bending rods, etc, to get this thing to work.

Any takers?????? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Ok, I once saw a Rochester sitting on a shelf in a friend of a friends garage a long time ago - so I'll bite ...

The Q-jet pump has a maximum travel length of @21/32".
First make sure you've moved the push lever from the throttle shaft to the 'inner' hole on the pivot arm. This gives the maximum lever on the arm.
Next, mark the shaft at rest and then again at full throttle travel. This is the pump travel length.
An old racers trick was to shorten the stock pump @1~3/32" to get the maximum travel out of each pump shot, without raising the pump cup above the edge of the fill slot in the bore ...
You are going to have to check the stroke of the new pump to be sure it does not sit to high in the rest position or it will not cure your issues and will cause new ones.
Usually, just shortening the stock pump assembly by grinding @1~2/32" off the end is enough to increase the volume.

If, after you've optimized the pump travel, you're not getting the shot amount you need. You may need to check and enlarge the two accelerator shooter nozzles by drilling them out some.
Check the original size with a drill and enlarge by slight amounts (0.002 or so increments) until you feel good throttle response off idle under no load - test drive - if necessary, go up one more 0.002 size to get it - do not go to big! Going to big will be past the ablity of the pump duration spring to maintain pressure throught the whole pump shot.
Use of a slightly stronger pump duration spring (the spring between the cup and the shaft clip) is preferable to over-drilling the shooter holes.

The final thing to do is to increase the dia. of the pump bore. This will require some machine work.
The normal stock dia. is 0.645". The performance models and trucks use a 0.735" bore.

That should keep you busy until he replies ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech

Have you checked your secondary accelerator circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode