electrical ground? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Has anyone out there ever experienced electrial arching inside the rotor cap of an H.E.I. distributor. I think this arching is burning out my control modular, could it be possible that I am getting too many volts to the coil, that is mounted on top of the distributor. How many volts should there be going to the coil? (when at idle?) could this be the result of the engine not being grounded properly?, if so how and where are the best places to ground it? Any advice would help. Chris, 350 crate motor in 68 SS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 00, 05:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Yes, HEI's love to arc inside, that's why they made the cap soo big!! Often, they burn through the bottom of the rotor, and toast the module or the mech. advance. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance, which should be to the plugs. Could be bad wires, or bad plugs, or too much plug gap. gap em at .040, and I like spiral wound wires, good radio supression without high resistance. If there's any carbon inside the cap or on the rotor, replace em, even if they're brand new. Don't forget to change the little carbon button that brings power from the coil to the rotor.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 00, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech

and dont foget to use the vasaline goop on the carbon spring with the rubber thing.

(hey that rhymed!)

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode