I'll try to keep this brief. During the winter months the I installed the following on my car.
- New Edel. Perf Intake
- New holley mech fuel pump with fuel pressure gauge <--important to problem.
- New Edel. Victor Jr. Water pump
- Spal electric fan with temp. sensor
- Griffin rad.
- new hoses everywhere.
- oil relocation kit with dual filter.
NOW, I started the car for the first time. and got the following results. ALL AT IDLE ON THE DRIVEWAY. 900rpm revving to 3000rpm, timing 10 adv. base timing.
- Temp 150 deg
- Oil pressure 70lbs (using Mobil 1 trisynth. 10W30
- Fuel press. 7 lbs
- Vac 15
- Temp 195deg fan turns on. And turn off at 190deg. Fans turns off too early BUT that's because the sensor is on the intake not on the heads. (I fix soon enough with a manual switch)
- Oil pressure 30 lbs
- Vac. - 15
- Fuel pressure went down to 6, then 5, then 4,3,2 and right down the ZERO?! I tapped the gauge and no response.
PROBLEM 1: Car still idling fine, give it gas, running excellent no problem, but fuel press. gauge still reads 0lbs! No fuel leaks anywhere....seems like the hotter the car got the lower the pressure got.
PROBLEM 2: do these # sound right for hot and cold conditions.
BTW, these are all mechanical gauges, it's a mild 454 and I re-tourqued the intake to 25lbs after the car was hot.
Did I miss anything?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
[This message has been edited by mikestr (edited 04-11-2002).]