Started car after winter and this is occuring.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I'll try to keep this brief. During the winter months the I installed the following on my car.

- New Edel. Perf Intake
- New holley mech fuel pump with fuel pressure gauge <--important to problem.
- New Edel. Victor Jr. Water pump
- Spal electric fan with temp. sensor
- Griffin rad.
- new hoses everywhere.
- oil relocation kit with dual filter.

NOW, I started the car for the first time. and got the following results. ALL AT IDLE ON THE DRIVEWAY. 900rpm revving to 3000rpm, timing 10 adv. base timing.

COLD
- Temp 150 deg
- Oil pressure 70lbs (using Mobil 1 trisynth. 10W30
- Fuel press. 7 lbs
- Vac 15

WARM/HOT
- Temp 195deg fan turns on. And turn off at 190deg. Fans turns off too early BUT that's because the sensor is on the intake not on the heads. (I fix soon enough with a manual switch)
- Oil pressure 30 lbs
- Vac. - 15
- Fuel pressure went down to 6, then 5, then 4,3,2 and right down the ZERO?! I tapped the gauge and no response.

PROBLEM 1: Car still idling fine, give it gas, running excellent no problem, but fuel press. gauge still reads 0lbs! No fuel leaks anywhere....seems like the hotter the car got the lower the pressure got.

PROBLEM 2: do these # sound right for hot and cold conditions.

BTW, these are all mechanical gauges, it's a mild 454 and I re-tourqued the intake to 25lbs after the car was hot.
Did I miss anything?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by mikestr (edited 04-11-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 04:29 PM

I have a somewhat similar setup as you...454, Edlebrock Performer intake and cam...but with Edlebrock carb and AC Delco fuel pump. I have fuel pressure indication inside the car via an isolater under the hood. I have noticed that my fuel pressure will drift very slowly from 6-7 psig down to 2 or less just cruising down the highway at little or no throttle. I also noticed that if I completely let off the gas the indicated fuel pressure usually quickly recovers. I have never noticed any impact on engine performance. So I quit worrying about it. But I would be interested in hearing if others are having this problem and if anyone has figured out what is going on inside the carb......Scott
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ssfrebo:
I have a somewhat similar setup as you...454, Edlebrock Performer intake and cam...but with Edlebrock carb and AC Delco fuel pump. I have fuel pressure indication inside the car via an isolater under the hood. I have noticed that my fuel pressure will drift very slowly from 6-7 psig down to 2 or less just cruising down the highway at little or no throttle. I also noticed that if I completely let off the gas the indicated fuel pressure usually quickly recovers. I have never noticed any impact on engine performance. So I quit worrying about it. But I would be interested in hearing if others are having this problem and if anyone has figured out what is going on inside the carb......Scott<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting, but my issue is at idle. Very strange isn't it?! I would ALSO be interested in hearing if others are having this problem.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Change fuel gauge to a liquid-fill gauge.

Too much vibration for a non-filled gauge.

One can order a stainless steel 0-15 psi, 1 1/2 in dia, bottom fit or back fit, gauge from McMaster-Carr online for $27.

Otherwise, your results look very good, imo.

Usually, sensor is placed in the fins at the return tank(hose to water pump) or, if surface mount, placed on the return tank. You're fighting against block temperature, which will always be higher, typically 20-50 degsF, than coolant temp. I have heard some place the sensor inside upper rad hose.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everett#2390:
Change fuel gauge to a liquid-fill gauge.

Too much vibration for a non-filled gauge.

One can order a stainless steel 0-15 psi, 1 1/2 in dia, bottom fit or back fit, gauge from McMaster-Carr online for $27.

Otherwise, your results look very good, imo.

Usually, sensor is placed in the fins at the return tank(hose to water pump) or, if surface mount, placed on the return tank. You're fighting against block temperature, which will always be higher, typically 20-50 degsF, than coolant temp. I have heard some place the sensor inside upper rad hose.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it is a liquid filled gauge.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Is your fuel lines around any hot sources? Could be vapor lock I'm wondering...but wouldn't make too much sense 'cause the car seems to run OK.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Either gauge is broke, if equipped, regulator is toast, or fuel pump works as needed or broke.

Everett
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 07:24 AM

Mike, does the guage work now? Did it only work once, and now it never moves?

I fought a vapor lock problem on my 69 that I traced to a gas cap that wasn't venting. I installed a friend's fuel pressure guage that had a sending unit so I could see the fuel pressure as I drove around. I have an electric fuel pump, and it would never drop below 5 lbs, and was around 6 1/2 to 7 lbs at idle. That $8 gas cap sure caused a lot of headaches!

------------------
Pics of my 69
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silver69Camaro:
Is your fuel lines around any hot sources? Could be vapor lock I'm wondering...but wouldn't make too much sense 'cause the car seems to run OK.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no hot sources. The car runs fine, I expected it to bog, choke and stall at idle, BUT is rumbles and purrs just fine. That is why this is to strange. Maybe the gauge is bad? BUT I would not expect it to work at ALL, not just when the engine is hot.

Anyone run into this at all?

[This message has been edited by mikestr (edited 04-12-2002).]
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 12:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

By any chance, do you still have the sock inside the tank on the fuel line? Mine quickly got partially clogged from a bad load of gas and I would see a slow pressure drop while driving. I removed it. With a Carter mechanical pump, I see a consistent 6 lbs. When I get on it, it will drop to about 4 but recover quickly.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RickD:
By any chance, do you still have the sock inside the tank on the fuel line? Mine quickly got partially clogged from a bad load of gas and I would see a slow pressure drop while driving. I removed it. With a Carter mechanical pump, I see a consistent 6 lbs. When I get on it, it will drop to about 4 but recover quickly.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If so, would that explain the 7lbs at startup? I would expect it to be 0 from the start.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 02, 10:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I'm assuming the crud would 'float away' from the sock when the car was shut off. I'd have good pressure upon starting but lose it as I drove.

------------------
Rick Dorion
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 02, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I wanted to revisit this topic because I still have not solved it. I did some more investigations on when the problem is occuring. It seems that the pressure is fine when car is cold (145-170) as the engine temp. increases, the pressure drops, as I stated before, to zero. I checked the float level, I adjusted air/fuel to the highest manifold vacuum and idle as well. After that, I throttled the engine to 3000rpm and no change.

I'm stumped! SOS
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 02, 01:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

When you're pressure goes to zero, try disconnecting the line from the output side of the pump. Use a catch can and remote started to check the pump volume. This way you can eliminate causes such as if it is before/after the pump.

------------------
Rick Dorion
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 02, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I installed a clear fuel filter and I get tons of bubbles. Does this mean I have vapour lock? If so, would this cause a hesitation @ high RPMs as well (3500+), along with a low fuel pressure? If so, I do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by mikestr (edited 04-23-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode