ongoing problem with TPS.....Need major help! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

i have tried everything:
Replaced the TPS sensor (twice)
Replaced the idle speed motor
replaced all the gaskets for intake
Replaced computer

I have a V6 Camaro that idles around 2500 Rpm. When you put the car into drive it goes back to normal. The TPS reads 1.9 volts and will NOT go any lower. I can not get it down to .5 at full open throtle, it goes up to 4.98 which is allright. What is causing the TPS to stay at 1.9 volts! I have tried everything and i am going nuts! any info would be really appreciated!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Remove the TPS from the T/b and manually adjust it through its range to see if it will give 0.5 volts. If it does, then your problem is a vacuum leak or a misadjusted throttle cable. EGR leaking?

Look at the throttle plates, there should be almost no clearance between the blades and the bore.

If all else fails, then bring engine to operating temp, turn off, place ecm in diag mode(paper clip between pins A & B of ALDL connector), turn key to IGN on, no start. This tells the ecm to activate all devices, EGR solenoid and runs out IAC. Turn key off,
unplug IAC, remove wire between A & b of ALDL connector. Start engine, base idle should be around 500-550 rpms, with everything else correct, TPS, engine coolant hot, oil pressure okay, no vacuum leaks, etc.

If too high, remove seal covering adjustment screw and adjust rpm to this level. Turn ign off, plug in IAC, remove codes, and see what happens. This should take care of it.

A couple more items, did this happen all of a sudden? Make sure brake master vacuum booster does not have a hole in it, large vacuum leak.

Check everything else before making base idle adjustment.

Everett

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 05-22-2002).]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 02, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

today is a good day. We have tested all the vacume hoses in the past and found nothing. We could not get the TPS below 1.9 no matter what we did. All the problems point to a bad TPS sensor. After replacing it twice i was pretty confident that was not the problem. Today, i walked to the store and bought a third sensor. I knew it had to be that! the third sensor works and my TPS is down to .52 I have gotten some crappy products from GM before but this holds the trophy. Turns out both TPS's we used were faulty. go figure?
thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode