Need an opinion - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

Question

This is WAY off topic, but what are the advantages or disadvantages to keeping the solid front axle in the 50 Dodge truck and hanging Fat Man Fabrications disc brakes on the stock spindles. They also make opwer steering. Would it be worth the effort to put the Mustang II kit on or swap frames? I think the stock axle / disc idea is cheapest, but will it be too tough for Angie to drive if she wanted or needed to? Would I go to hell for putting the 305 in it instead of a MoPar 360? (I think I know the answer to that one:-> )

If you are insulted that I asked a Dodge questions, remember that y'all seem to have the best answers of all the boards I look at.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 305 out of Angie's 69 RS/SS, Angie's mechanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 10:16 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
305 for that "beast". i'd go with at least a 350. and as for the straight axel, depends on what you want ...save money, or drivability? just my thoughts...anyone else ?
and do you want Angie to have arms like Arnold?
------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 01-22-2001).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

The 305 is pretty stout, but the thinking there was that it is free and a 360 would take more money to get and rebuild than a free motor. I think power steering is a must, and Fat Man makes a kit for the stock stuff, but would it be too much of a beast to drive a lot? I'm thinking it can't be worse than a solid axle four wheel drive right?

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 305 out of Angie's 69 RS/SS, Angie's mechanic

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Lightbulb

Heres another thought on your suspention. how about torsion bar out of a 77 cordova? i put one of these setups under a 39 Ford Coupe and loved it, you can usually pick up a k frame with almost every thing you need for 75 bucks or so then add a power racknpinion out of a aries K car ond youve got it whipped. theres a company called Gibbons that makes a weld on cross member that everthing bolt onto and when its done youve got a nice independant front suspention with big disk brakes, ajustable ride height, power steeringwith out all the crap( idealer arm,drag linketc..) and it will drive like a new car and have a great ride. Just a thought.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech

How's the steering box? I had a 68 Dodge 1/2
ton with the solid front axle as a daily driver. It had a bad steering box. I kept adjusting the screw on top of the box, it would make a difference in the beginning then after awhile it didn't matter. I found another one in a junk yard and swiched it,and it wasn't much better. I looked into a rebuilt one but it was expensive. My ex-wife would never drive the truck. She liked the looks but not the way it drove. If it's gonna be a driver, I say dump the straight axle!

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode