STICKY THROTTLE - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys!!! I have a little problem. I have a zz4 crate motor that I had a 750cfm that was too big, so on the advice of others I bought a 650cfm double pumper. Now here is the problem. Only when the motor is running,I tried it while the motor was off and it did not stick, off idle it takes a little force to get the throttle to move. It feels like it is held up on something, but I looked and nothing is snagging and the springs are not that tight. It is only off idle and not on any other part of the throttle motion. It also sometimes does not rest up all the way on the stop screw and it will idle 100 rpm fast until I kick the gas peddle back then it will be fine. I checked the gas pedal and linkage and it does not snag. I am wondering if the vacuum caused by the motor just makes it hard to crack the plates or if they are sticking on something I do not see anything they are sticking on. Please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 05:02 PM
Tech Team

Have you tryed a dual spring setup?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I have adual spring setup on there now. I just checked the vacuum and it is 15.5. It almost feels like it clicks when you step on it. The throttle is against the stop screw and I slowly step on it adding more pressure and the pedal slowly goes down, rpms increase about to 950 from 800, and then once I pass a point around there it just frees up and moves normally and freely. But I am pushing a little hard to get it to start moving so the rpms jump real quick,once I pass that point, until I let the pressure off.I don't mean to babble on but it is hard to explain and i want you guys to have all the facts because I know its hard to say unless you see the problem. Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 06:06 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
What kind of tranny? The TV cable for my 700r4 was rubbing on the arm that the throttle rod connects to and caused the exact same problem...

You can disconnect the throttle rod from the carb and see if it frees up...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I have a manual tranny but thanks for the tip.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 10:56 AM

Lightbulb

You did not say if it is vac secondaries. You may look at the linkage to the secondary plate. There may be a burr on it. I would rebuild it, checking all linkages. is the lower gasket the right one? It may hold it too. Lots to check.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

It's mechanical secondaries. Alright guys here's the scoop. I looked at the carb and everything today. The linkage is fine. I noticed that when the engine was off the throttle stuck a bit and did not go back all the way, it was just more noticeable when the engine was on. I took the carb off and it is not hitting the gaskets. It just happens right at the very beginning of opening and the end of closing, so I looked closely at the primary throttle plates of both my old 750 and my new 650. The 650, the one that is sticking, has a throttle plate that is a little more shut than the other plate. It looks like it may be hitting the body as it shuts. When I manually open the throttle and let it shut it hesitates to close all the way at the end but I do not know why this would worsen or seem like it is worse when the car is on, it could be the vacuum from the engine, I don't know.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Do the throttle plates have any holes in them? It sounds like the throttle blades are hitting the throttle body.The secondary may be open a little to far.You can adjust them.Are you sure there are no vaccume leaks? If there is one you will try to compensate by adjusting the idle stop,and if adjusted too much,the blades will hit the throttle body.I'm assuming the sound you are hearing is kinda like a tic.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

I think the one throttle plate does hit. Is it that big a problem that the one blade is off alignment just a little from the other, it's not a lot but it is noticeable. If this is the problem what can i do to fix. The carb is new, I got it from Summit but I already but non-stick gaskets because I had to add extensions, will they take it back? Thanks for the help.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 06:05 AM
Tech Team

Summit racing has never gave me a problem taking anything back.
They seem kinda like walmart
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 03:15 PM
Bill

zz (?)
If one blade is hitting before the other, I would send the carb back for another. They should both close exactly the same. On another light though, neither of the blades should really hit the throttle bore completely at idle. They should be open jsut a bit or they will always stick. They idle stop screw should hit before they hit the carb bore.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech

It sounds like some bozo dropped it when he was packing it. That can bend the throttle shaft or blades depending on how they dropped it. Definately send it back.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the tips, this is why I like this place. I called them today and they said they would take it back even without the box, I shouldn't have thrown the box away but atleast they will still take it back and give me a new one. Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode