Oil Burning... Colder plugs or hotter? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ive got a excessive buring oil condition on my 68' 327" 170K motor. The plugs foul up very often and seem wet every time i check em'. Would running a hotter plug help this condition? would there be any drawbacks to running a hotter plug? Pinging ect...?Thanks allot guys

------------------
68'Pro-touring 5.0 Killer
http://www.geocities.com/bigblock6668/streets.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

With a 170k on the motor going a few steps hotter might help nut I doubt it. At the very least you would get some more mileage before they got fouled again. How fast do the plugs foul up and how much oil does the engine consume between oil changes?

------------------
70 Camaro 307cid(350soon) /350th ex. dark purple (dark blue soon) in. black
74 Trans Am 400cid/th400 ex. red in. red power windows
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

well just this last week a new #5 plug started fouling after 1 day of driving it around town(about 20 miles) Then made a misfire, i then replaced #5 plug again and just got back from driving around and its still good.
as for the oil changes go, i put about a quart in for every 150 miles or so.
should i check my valve guide seals? im shure their shot but will this fix my problem? The #5 plug that i just pulled out today looked completly ok except for it was wet and looked like there was a slight amount of oil inside of the plugs open part.(like the porcelin part by the electrode) Thanks for the help

------------------

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech

Smile

Got a mosquito killer, do ya? As far as the spark plugs go, use the regular plugs like you have been using and go to the auto parts store and get some anti-foulers. They are a little device that screws onto the end of you plugs and helps keep a lot of the oil off the plugs, so they dont foul near as quickly. I am sure your valve seals are gone, as are the valve guides, but normally that kind of oil consumption only comes from dead or broken rings, and heavily worn cylinder walls.
My 1st vehicle was a '69 chevy truck with the original 307...65 miles to a quart I drove it like that for 3 years with no problems other than putting fresh plugs in it all the time. The anti-foulers cut my spark plug replacement down to about 1/4 of what it was originally.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 02:04 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

Does your motor have the rear breather tube like the old 283's? I had a 283 that would continually foul the #5 and #8 plug and it turned out to be a faulty oil separator in the lifter valley. Turns out the PCV valve was plumbed to the vacuum port on top of the #5 and #8 runner.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 02:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Yeah, listen to Travis! those anti-foulers work great! My buddies dad used to drive his 66 Chevy w/283 with 6 of those things!! He only had to change the plugs about every 5K after installing them!

Time to freshen that sad puppy up bud! I don't think it owes ya much more at 170K miles.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

just curious if the anti foulers have any performance effect?
and yes it IS time for a new motor allready.. but i wanna beat this one into the ground... thanks guys

------------------
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Lightbulb

Anti-foulers? We call them, spark plug extensions. Put a Bosch Platinum spark plug together with an anti-fouler in #5 and forget about it...If they work with two cycle engines in my friends four tracks, it should do the job on your application.
Good luck

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 02, 12:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I've found that nothing fouls faster in an oil burning small block Chevy than a Bosch platinium plug! Just my $.02!

Camaro666, I think that the 170K miles have a much more serious effect on performance than the anti foulers do!! But seriously, yes, the anti foulers are used to shroud the spark plug from the oily chamber, so they are NFG for higher RPM use. They also reduce the compression in the affected cylinder a bit too. They add maybe 1.5cc to the head volume??

It's the least of your problems at this point bud!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 09:38 PM
Tech Team

I agree...it sounds like you are beyond the quick bandaid stage at this point. Time for a rebuild! Start with a compression test and a leakdown test. these will tell you if your problem is in the bottom end (and with 170K miles, I can almost guarantee it is).

------------------
1973 Type LT Camaro ...the daily driver

1968 2 door sport coupe...the toy!

1970 Chevelle SS396 (L34)...numbers matching, all original!

American Muscle Cars...as seen in Super Chevy Magazine, THE Camaro/Chevelle/El Camino we do other stuff too!) resto shop in SoCal

The Monday Nite Car Club!...our car club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode