Vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 03, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1979 camaro,350,4 speed trans, And i have a vibration at 2000rpm and ending at 3000rpm,
now setting still reaving the motor with the clutch engaged i still have the vibration, when i depress the clutch and rev the motor, the vibration is virtually gone...
Any Ideas ? ....... Thanks For Any help, Jimwashere [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 03, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech

Could be the clutch being engaged is helping dampen the vibration. You'll have to look at your flywheel for sure. It's the thing with a big saw blade all the way around it's edge right next to your legs. I mean gear teeth for the starter to engage. Just a little motivation to get you to check it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech

The only thing not turning at the 2000 to 3000 rpm with the clutch pedal to the floor would be the transmission guts and friction disc, My money says it is the friction disc,

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

Vibration is a tricky thing to troubleshoot. Subtle vibrations can be a combination of multiple things acting together. Seems we can rule out drive shaft or pinion angle problems for the moment. Engine vibration seems minimal with the clutch engaged. Although it's possible that the added inertia when the clutch is engaged causes and engine resonance to come through. The more likely causes are clutch or input shaft related. Consider pulling the transmission and checking run-out on the input shaft with a dial guage. Also check the pilot bushing in the end of the crank. Clutch pressure assembly is probably all-right. Does the clutch assembly have a few thousand miles on it? If the tranny input shaft is Ok, perhaps it's time to resurface the flywheel and put in a new clutch. You'll have to crawl under and start unbolting stuff to find out.

-dnult
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank's for all the advice, I will be replacing the clutch,pressuer plate,throw out bearing.pilot shaft bearing, and resurfacing the flywheel this weekend.
Thanks Again, Jimwashere [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Agree with info posted here by others.

If you are going to change everything, I'd go ahead and resurface the flywheel, then take everything down to the local machine balancer and have them to balance to less than 1/2 gram @2500 rpm.

This will further eliminate these items. I believe it would be alittle hard to measure the input shaft runout with the shaft still attached to the trans. If one were to remove it from the trans and take to the machine shop and have them do a runout with a live center, then, this would be a good idea.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode