storman, A new gemlin appears - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 02, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info storman,I'll try that and see what happens,for your info my girlfriend just drove the car to her tanning appointment(halfhour out and back)and I was going to hop over to my friends house and put a scanner on it to read the codes,and I was'nt able to start the car!!It acted like it wanted to but when you stop cranking it would'nt stay running,And also my friend brought his scanner over and all that came up was the number 12. Would this info change your answer to me? And again,thanks for taking the time to answer me.I appreciate it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Don't know what your problem was before, but, to answer these,

Engine won't start in ECM Diagnostic, b/c EGR valve is open, IAC is closed.

Code 12 = ECM is okay. Any other codes following?

Everett
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

storman,no other codes came up after the number 12. I have'nt unhooked the tranny yet,but I was wondering about that.what is it you are expecting the car to do with it unhooked? Is'nt there a failsafe to keep it from shifting out of second gear? Also,the car has an overdrive and a drive position on the gear selector. Could I check this out in the drive position, and see if it does the same thing? I have'nt tried that yet. As far as throwing you a curve on the starting problem,I did'nt mean to do that. Apparently when the car gets warm and it starts this bucking problem,after you shut it down it won,t start again. last night was the first time it happened to me. the little woman had it happen to her a couple of times and did'nt say anything to me about it. That's why I brought it up. And the code 12 thing about the ecm,egr valve open,IAC closed. Does this indicate a problem I should take care of ? I really appreciate your time to answer me storman,thanks RICK

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 02, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech

my first thought was that your converter was acting up i have seen them do that an really buck like crazy especialy at highway speeds. from what you tell me know its sounding like fuel pressure or a vacum problem but it would probaly still start even if the egr was stuck open. have you checked the fuel filter and is this a tuned port or a throtle body.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 02, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Hi storman, Thanks for getting back to me.you hit it right on with the vacuum or fuel problem.the girlfriend gave up and took it to the local wrench today and they ran some stuff on their system and cmae up with the stuff you just wrote me about. they lening more towards the vacuum problem at this point,but they are going to do a fuel pressure check tomorrow am anyway to make sure. they did spot a little bit of a miss in the motor when it was idling. that gets checked out tomorrow too. I'll let you know what the final deal was when we pick it up. thanks for all your help.and guess what? she likes me even though I did'nt get it fixed.Dammit!!?? later Rick
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech

hey good luck with both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode