67 4 speed transmission stuck in reverse - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

I have a curious problem. Backed the car into the garage and now it won't come out of reverse.

There has been no indication of any noise from the Muncie 4 Speed.

The shifter seems to be in neutral, but it is still in reverse. I can move the shifter into 1,2,3,4, but car is still in reverse.

I can't put the shifter into reverse.

I don't see anything bent or broken from the underside.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 03:18 AM
a67

Using a mallet or block of wood knock the linkage back to the neutral gate position. Then double check the shift linkage adjustment. It may be off, or it may be worn which leaves the trans in reverse.

Bob.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 03, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech

To see if it's trans or linkage you know the simple route right?
By yourself put the shifter in neutral. Look under car at left side of tranny where linkages attach and see if both flat bars are straight up and down.
If you have somebody else have them shift while you watch. Straight up and down is neutral. Only one flatbar should move at a time.
To get the linkage right disconnect it where the threaded portion is at the shifter then find neutral and put a drill bit, allen wrench or whatevers thru a hole in the shifter gate shafts that will lock the shifter in neutral. Then adjust till each linkage goes back on the easiest of all.
You can get an idea here. Oh yah, in reverse. Maybe binding. Check the linkage. Compair attachments. Straight up and down is neutral.
http://www.mrgasket.com/hurstpdf/3734531.pdf
http://www.mrgasket.com/hurstcomp.html

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 03, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I didn't know of the "simple route". I will take a look at it this evening.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 03, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, things now work [img]smile.gif[/img]
Just put the clutch in and pushed the car out of the garage. I let out the clutch to stop the car. The shifter then moved and could go into any gear.

Don't know what happened, but would be interested in finding out what actually when "wrong".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 04, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Art

Send a message via Skype™ to Guido67SS
It's probably the shifter linkage. You can tighten it up by using washers as spacers behind the clips that hold the rods to the shifter and the shift forks. Metal bushigs can also be used. The stronger you make the linkage, less slop the better it will feel.
I know that when I raced my 4 speed I had my shifter set just right. Never wanted to miss a gear on a power shift you know!

I miss that...

67 Camaro Built with Cubic Money
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 04, 12:25 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Cool

Be sure to set the parking brake so that the car won't run over you when you get the transmission back in neutral & it wouldn't be a bad ideal to place a block of wood in front & the back of the rear tires. Safety first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode