Flooded after Flooring the gas - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 02, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

This last Sunday I was out with my daughter driving aroung and she told me to go faster, so I did. After Flooring it in second gear and quickly letting off, the car died. It seemed to be flooded. I have a 427 with a 850 DP. 80 Jets Front and Rear, Blue Cam in front 30 cc and STD 50 CC pump in rear. The car started after I held the gas all the way down and cranked it. It appeared at that time to be flooded. My floats are adjusted correctly. Timing is set at 16 BDC and the dist is a mechanical COMP 9000. I am running a electric fuel pump. Could this be fuel slosh. I have a plastic line connecting the vents with a slit in the top. This was done to keep it from flooding after the Baer brake were installed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

------------------
Kent
67 SS 427
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 02, 10:04 AM
David Pozzi

Your fuel pressure may be too high.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 02, 03:35 PM
SSuperman

How about boiling gas?
I had a problem just like that and I put one of those wood gaskets between the carb and intake and it took car of that problem.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 02, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it is boiling the gas out of the carb. The car runs at 185 and the outside temp was 65. I need to install a regulator and a pressure gauge.

------------------
Kent
67 SS 427
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech

This is just a guess, but are you sure the floats set correctly? Perhaps when the fuel moves toward the rear of the carb on blast-off, the needle/seat is opening prematurly or closing too late, due to an improperly set float...might be worth another look. Odd that it only seems to flood when you jump on it.

[This message has been edited by Sleepy-69 (edited 03-30-2002).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech
Cameron

Like was suggested earlier, I would look at your fuel pressure. I had a similar problem after installing a mechanical high volume fuel pump. The pressure was fine at idle, but when I let off to shift at high rpm, the combination of high rpm and closed butterflies resulted in a high fuel pressure with low fuel consumtion which caused the car to flood and bog until the excess fuel was used up. A fuel pressure regulator corrected the problem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 02, 02:36 PM
bigboyp4

i had a 650 holley on my 305, i had major flooding problems after flooring it even after i set my floats right, those darn things (floats) kept sticking. thats my suggestion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode