Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
The water pump was on the car before I rebuilt the motor. It uses V-belts. I never had any problems when the motor was stock. I believe the motor is from a 1975 van according to the casting number.
The system may not have been full of fluid. I removed the thermostat and added water to fill the block first. I then put the thermostat back in, reattached the upper hose and filled the radiator.
I will check it out tonight and see if that was the problem. I have a new hose to install just in case the hose collapses again.
I did a pressure test on the radiator and cap with a kit from AutoZone. Everything tested fine with no leaks. The cap "opened" at 18psi so that seemed to work correctly.
More to come as I dig into it.
Thanks for the comments so far.
'79 Z28, 4spd, 3.73 10 bolt, 350 4-bolt .030 over with stud kit, 10:1 Compression, Keith Black Flat Tops, Comp Cams Magnum 294 Solid Cam .525 lift, 63cc Heads, Stainless valves, hardened exhaust seats, guideplates, Summit Needle Bearing Roller Rockers 1.5 ratio, Offy Single Plane Intake, Holley 650 Vac. Secondaries, Stock HEI (for now), Headers 1 7/8" primaries, 3" Collectors into 2 1/2" exhaust with "H" pipe and Turbo Mufflers.