slippage problems on take off (tranny or diff?) - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

Under normal driving, my 78 Camaro takes off fine from stops. After about 10 or 15 minutes of hard driving, when I punch it from a stop I get a terrible chattering/shuddering on take off that seems to be coming from the rear end, at least the sounds are coming from there. It hesitates a bit at first and then kicks really hard and slips/shudders really hard at this point also. It still does it when I powerbrake it, so that lead me to first believe that it was a problem with the differential. It has a 2.53 posi in it, and a TH350 tranny. I thought the clutches in the posi might be bad, but I had that inspected by a guy who rebuilds them all the time and he says they have at least 50,000 good miles left on them, as well as the rest of the differential. He narrowed the problem down to a broken rear trany mount. REplaced that. Well, guess what, it still does it... I changed the fluid in the posi, used an additive, and changed the tranny mount and it still does this. It now has progressed to not only at take off , but after really hard driving (accelleraton), it sometimes does it at speeds up to 20mph, not as bad, but major slippage still (less shuddering though). I am thinking it has to be a problem with the tranny, any ideas? It has a 305 in it (yeah, 305 and 2.53, this thing is a dog...), and it has a really distinct whine to it, as it has for the last 4 years I've had it. I was just recently rold that a whine like that could be a sign that the front pump in the tranny is bad. Could this be something as simple as a clogged filter or band adjustment? I feel it may be more serious. ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED... I've had so many people help diagnose this and it still boggles me.... However I think the broken tranny mount was the aftermath of this problem...

<br>

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 00, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech

What's your tranny fluid look and smell like?Did you pull the pan and look for debris if it's the tranny there should be some signs in there.My guess would be converter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 00, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Exclamation

The fluid is as clean as can be. Level is fine. I drove it more today, if I take a left turn at city speeds and floor it, it slips out of gear completely. Works fine on right turns. If I'm stopped on a steep hill, I have to keep my foot on the gas lightly to keep from rolling back. It only does this after like a half hour of hard driving though, and then progressively gets worse. After a while, I can sit there at a stop and hit the gas pedal half way quickly and rev it up in drive without it going anywhere. It creeps slightly forward, but pretty much doesn't move. I was digging through old Chiltons troubleshooting sections, and the only thing besides the converter I can think of is a fualty one way clutch, which Chilton's says nothing about servicing in their transmission section. Again this is a TH350 with a 305 2bbl and a 2.41 positraction. I was wrong with the 2.56. In the next year I'll be putting a 350 and a 3.08 posi in hopefully.

And like I said, it only does it in drive, L1 and L2 from a take off; not second, third, or reverse. I've hammered it in reverse a lot, and no slippage at all. sometimes it will do it up past 10mph, once or twice up to 20mph. It also emits a really clanky chattering sound when slipping badly once you get going off the line slightly.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Chuck in Ohio

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 00, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech

With the problem of it slipping on a left turn and not on a right turn, leads me to think it's differential. I'm not a tranny person, but I don't believe anything in the trans would be effected by turning.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 00, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Your trans pump is shot. When the fluid is cold, it helps it seal a little better, holding pressure. When it gets hot it looses pressure. Not enough pressure to hold it in gear. Probably taking off in second gear sometimes. Your tranny is now in need of a complete rebuild. All that slipping is trashing your clutches. Stop driving it before you start damaging hard part$. Dacco/Detroit has rebuilt pumps for $28 exchange, if there is one in your city. Don't get a cheepie $150 rebuild. The parts cost that much. Like someone once said " you get what you pay for".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode