Please HELP: HORN STUCK - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 03, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to TXCamaro
Hi, I'm having a problem with my 95 Camaro's horn... the horn button on the right side of the steering wheel has somehow become extremely sensitive... if you barely touch it, the horn goes off, then it progressed to going off when I make turns or sometimes when I'm driving and not turning at all. Now it has started going off when no one's in the car, steadily honking until someone goes out to the car and fiddles with the button until the honking stops.

Where do I disconnect the horn? I'm a chic so I don't know a lot about cars, if someone could give me precise directions about what to do I would be greatly appreciative. Reply here or e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 03, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech

Horns on cars in Texas are located near the head of the car like on longhorn cattle of old. There might be two of them that function every time the horn is activated. Lift the hood and look for a round flat thing or a semi round metal thingamabob with a spirally horn style of case with a single wire going to it. That is look forward of the radiator and around it. Some horns have built in ground to where they mount so only the power wire is needed. They should be located near the front opening to allow a bunch of the moise to be transmitted out. I hope it isn't crowded under there or the horns aren't placed under, behind, hidden and any other wonder of new science. Good luck.
Oh yah. Before possibly trying to fix the steering wheel horn gizmo check to see if it's an airbag car. I'd stay away from playing with an airbag steering wheel. I'm kinda chicken when it comes to having a 20mm shell pop a bag open and causing a screw driver to be jammed thru my skull. Be carefull.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 02:38 AM

You have a shorted wire or switch in the horn pad of the steering column. This is something that requires you to take your car into the shop ASAP. This problem will lead to other more serious problems like the battery going dead or even a fire causing short. Pulling the wires to the horns will only quiet the horns, not fix the shorted wire which is the real problem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 02:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

To those of you who have that model year, is there a fuse for the horn circuit, so she can remove it 'til the car gets fixed?

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech

Howdy Tex, and welcome to the party.
If your car has an airbag, and I think it probably does, I just want to re-iterate what Snatchin said. DO NOT try to repair anything on the steering wheel itself. The last thing you want to have happen is the airbag going off in your face. Not only is it dangerous, but very expensive to replace.
It sounds like the button/switch on the steering wheel is bad. I would definitely take it to a shop or dealer and let them deal with it.
What part of Texas are you from?
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode