From bad to worse! ! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Thomas

Unhappy

Well my recent posts have asked about my carb problems, but I have a feeling that the problems just got worse. I got the carb acting right not perfect but good enough to drive it to have a pro work on. Here is the new problem, while leaning into the engine bay adjusting the carb with the car runing I noticed that one of my header pipes was not hot at all and it was running long enough to heat up. After my initial response of screaming NOOOOO !!!!! I took a step back and started thinking about what just happened. I came up with one of two things, one, something is wrong with the head or I lost a cylinder what do you guys think it is. There are no unusual noises,smells,smoke or leaks.

------------------
70 1/2 RS Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 12:39 PM

Well lets see here... My guess without being there to check and with no more info would bet that you have a dead cylinder. Which means basically you could have ignition problems, valve/head problems etc. Could be flat cam lobe. I would suggest ripping the whole motor down to find the problem. Start simple like the intake and lifters/cam then go to the harder stuff like the heads etc. If its not making a huge knocking noise than you can bet it isnt a rocker arm. Doesnt sound like a simple fix if thats what you were looking for. sorry. Good Luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 01:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

It could be as simple as a bad plug wire or plug. Start at the simplest things as noted above and then work from there. There's nothing worse than ripping a motor apart to find out you had a disconnected wire.

Jody

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Jody, check your plugs and wires first, and go from there. Good luck!

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 05:07 PM
Tech Team

I had a similar header problem and had to change plugs and wires
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech

Run compression check on suspect cylinder, if 150 psi or better, rule out valve or head gasket problem, I think you have a ignition problem, plug wire, plugs, or distubuter cap.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 08:04 AM
Tech Team

you can also hook up motor to compressed air(via spark plug hole), make sure cylinder is a t.d.c.. where ever it leaks out through carb.,exhaust port,or valve cover oil fill hole, there's the problem. if it isn't plug, plug wire, something simple(i'm hoping for you)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 05:40 PM
Tech Team

IT sounds weird but check you timing there is a small chance your car jumped time by 1 or 2 teeth
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 03:16 AM

IF THE HEADER PIPE IS NOT HOT THEN THAT CYLINDER IS NOT WORKING, THAT MUCH WE ALL CAN AGREE ON. USE THIS PHRASE TO HELP,FUEL AND FIRE. IF THAT CYLINDER IS NOT GETTING FUEL IT WILL NOT WORK. PULL VALVE COVER AND TURN ENGINE OVER TO SEE IF THE VALVES ON THAT CYLINDER ARE MOVING. IF THEY ARE NOT, THEN THE CAMSHAFT HAS WIPED A LOBE.IF ALL IS FINE HERE, GO TO FIRE. REPLACE PLUGS, WIRES, CAP AND ROTOR.WORKING ON CARS CAN DRIVE YOU NUTS AT TIMES. GOOD LUCK!

SUPERSPORTMC
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 03:42 AM
Senior Tech

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Replace plug
Replace plug wire
Try a different distributor cap
check compression'
Pull rocker cover off, check valve train
remove head,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode