Timing Problem??? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 02, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

tell me if this sounds like a timing problem. when i 1st start off driving , and it is in 1st gear, when i press the pedal (Not flooring it) it hits the second gear, BUT! the car takes off like a rocket as soon as the gears change, feels like an awful lot of torque for just entering i think 2nd possibly 3rd gear and im not even pusing it. theres no noises in the tranny nothing seems abnormal except the sudden surge forward, im thinking its the time , dont get me wrong, im not complaining i love the power and the car runs like a bat out of hell , especially since i blocked off an open vacuum port. mabey i shouldnt be too concerned? i have been wanting to test the timing, but i havent bought a timing gun to do so yet, also would the proper timing setting be 6, for a 305 carbureted enging? my chilton manual i beleive gives me the setting of 6, it does mention to find the timing setting on a sticker in the engine compartment, but i dont have one there. its an 1984 camaro 305 w/Rochestor Q-Jet non computerized carb.

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 05:10 AM

Is it an automatic car? Sounds like your "second gear" is the passing gear. Not sure if those are vacuum actuated or linkage operated. Which "open vacuum port" did you block off?

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i always manage to leaver out some sort of detail....yes it is an automatic trans.

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i forgot to answer your question, the vacuum port on the back of the carb (Rochester qjet) its on the front right side of the carb, not sure which port, but i think it is called a ported vacuum (increases with acceleration) i put a hose with a screw in it. the port coming out of the rear of the carb, i ran to the TVS and then to the EFE valve. i hope i didnt leave anything out?

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 06:49 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I'm inclined to agree with Judd, sounds like you are already in 2nd or 3rd and it's down shifting at part throttle and feeling more responsive...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

im not to sure. i was playing tonight with it, going slowly and seeing what it did and it really didnt surge, but i tend to have a heavy foot , while on the subject, my car has overdrive, drive, 1 & 2 on my gear selector, which is the proper position for normal driving? ive been using the overdrive position, but for the past couple of days now ive been playing in the Drivve position, i notice my RPMS are higher in the drive gear as opposed to the OD. but hell what do i know...please advise. Thanks Guys err.. and Girls (if their are any females here)

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well i found what i thought was a problem...you guys are going to think im stupid but...theres nothing wrong with the tranny shifting, im just a knucklehead, i forgot that i took up the slack on the accelerator cable, the previous owner rigged the cable in some ungodly way so that there was alot of slack in the cable, so naturally when i depressed the pedal there would be a delayed response. so i took off the slack and snugged it up a little, and NOW its responding correctly, its just that i was driving around for a year with the slack in the cable ...i guess we live and we learn..thanks anyway for you suggestions.

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode