trans cooler - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 00, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I was wondering if an external trans cooler MUST be mounted to the radiator. On my 68, I just installed an electric fan and new be cool radiator... The fan is so large that I won't be able to use the plastic ties through the radiator because of how close the fan sits on the inside... I was thinking of mounting it on the core support in such a way that it should get plenty of air while moving...what about a small electric fan for it... is that overkill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 00, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

I mounted one on my 67' this spring.I know this is the way most people do it,but those plastic ties just seem to weak for my taste.I mounted mine off center a little ,so that the passenger side of the cooler is being supported by two bolts run through holes I drilled in the core support,just left of the radiator.For support on the other side of the cooler,I bolted a strip of galvinized metal,about 1/4"x1/2"x24" ,vertically,from the upper lip of the core support,above the raditor,to the lower lip,below the radiator.I then drilled holes in the galvinized strip and bolted the cooler to it.So it is still in front of the radiator,just a little off center,and still only 1/4"-1/2" away,so it gets good air flow,even from the fan.It seems alot more sturdy of a mount to me!I also used some of Eastwoods radiator paint on the cooler and galvinized strip to kind of hide it,I like to look as stock as possible.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 06-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 06-25-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode