Timing help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 02, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I have a 69 SS w/350 (not original). I was tuning it up the other day and can't figure out the timing. Initial timing at idle w/o vac. advance was 6-8 BTDC-it ran terrible. I advance it to about 16 BTDC and now it runs much better. I could hear it improve as I moved the distributor. But there's too much advance; when I let off on the throttle @ 15-40 MPH it wants to "jump" or erratically misfire-Feels like too much advance. It even did this some at 6-8 BTDC. Can the balancer be put on wrong so the degree readings are wrong? The tune up book says 0 BTDC. What gives? Am I out in left field? Thanks for the help!
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech

John, the balancer can only go on one way to answer your question.

I have seen balancers spin on the rubber which would through the timing marks off but that isn't very common.

Depending on the year you could have the wrong timing pointer on the engine. Older engines were located at about 3 o clock looking from the front while newer engines are located 12 to 1 o clock which is visible from behind the waterpump looking down.

You could pull #1 spark plug and get the engine up to the compression stroke, verify piston is at TDC with a piece of wire. You can also remove the valve cover and verify both valves are closed on #1 cylinder but this step shouldn't be necessary. Pull off the distributor cap and verify it is pointing at #1 cylinder & #1 wire on your cap. Then look at the balancer and see where the 0 degree mark is. It should be at TDC on the timing pointer. If it's way off you have the wrong timing tab or the balancer has spun.

Take a piece of white chaulk and draw a straight line across the front of the balancer. If it is spinning in the rubber the line will seperate (move) as you start and stop the engine.

Have you ever checked the engine #'s to find out what year/model it came from? You can do a search on the Tag Team and find out where to decode the engine #'s.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted what you find.

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode