vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 04, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rex

well, my other problem is that i have a vibration in the car. I can rule out the tires, the wheels (crager) did take alot of weights. I was told that my driveshaft is about an inch to short. I was shimming the starter today and thought that maybe, along with the driveshaft, maybe my pinion angel is off. Will this cause a vibration? If so, what should the proper angle be?

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 04, 03:24 PM
Tech Team

Have you had driveshaft checked?May need to be balanced. racermike
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 04, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

If you projected the center line of the transmission and the pinion they should form paralell lines. Depending on your suspension you can 'preload' the rear a bit by dropping the pinion down a degree or two. But I wouldn't recommend it for a street cruiser. Parelell is usually just fine. Depends on your setup.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 04, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

How did you rule out the wheels. Just because you can balance them doesn't mean they are true. You could have a bent or out of round wheel.

When does the car vibrate, all the time, above a certain speed, or above a certain RPM?

Is it a manual, or automatic transmission? Big block or small block?

Did you put a big block in a small block car? if so did you replace the engine AND frame mounts, and the transmission cross member If not you will have a driveline alignment issue.

Drive the car until you get the vibration, if it's a manual transmission, shift to neutral and push the clutch in. Leave the clutch in ans allow the engine to return to idle. If the vibration remains the same, the problem is behind the input shaft of the transmission, ie the drive shaft, pinion angle rear axle, or wheels. If the vibration goes away immediatly it's in your engine or clutch assembly.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode