'69 camaro troubles - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Allen

I got a 1969 camaro all original 49,000 miles stock 307 2 barrel 2 speed auto trans. It probably needs a tune up plugs and wires but I was planning a switch from points to hei ign. otherwise runs when it wants to.

Heres the deal, the only modification i made was i put a dual exhaust on it, to the stock manifolds, it had the y pipe into a single muffler and tailpipe. What tuning do i need to do to make it run right.

It will start run fine, back out of the garage, idle for 10 min. I then shut it off went to start back up and it wouldnt. the starter turned and cranked but it wouldnt turn over.

any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 05:53 PM
David Pozzi

Pull a sparkplug and look at it. If it's dirty, replace em all. Clean plugs really help starting.
I could list a hundred things it COULD be.
You really can't begin to diagnose a starting problem if you don't have a good basic tune up.
David
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Well, I'll try. I'm not sure exactly what your trying to say. It sounds to me, that when you backed out of garage and had to restart it the starter wasn't engaging to the flywheel(flexplate on automatics). Does this happen often or was it just the one time? Did this start happening after the dual exhaust was put in? Is the car running worse after the exhaust work. I'm thinking maybe your carburetor needs to be freshened up. Even with just 49,000 miles on it, it's still 31 years old. The internal rubber parts, needle valve & power valve are probably getting hard & brittle. It's been my experience that after a vehicle has been parked, or rarely driven, (hence the low mileage), after you start driving them regularly, things start to happen. If this is the case, I would start replacing rubber fuel lines, and watch your brake fluid closely. Hope this has been some help to you. Write back let us know how it's going.

------------------
Steve
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 00, 07:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

It will start run fine, back out of the garage, idle for 10 min. I then shut it off went to start back up and it wouldnt. the starter turned and cranked but it wouldnt turn over.

I'm havin some trouble with that sentence. Cranked and turned over mean the same thing to me, that is, the starter is spinning the engine. Do you means it cranked over but does not fire up??

And why did you need to start it again? Does it stall?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 00, 07:47 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Do you have a steep driveway? Maybe the gravity is sucking the gas back to the tank.

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 00, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Allen

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimM:

I'm havin some trouble with that sentence. Cranked and turned over mean the same thing to me, that is, the starter is spinning the engine. Do you means it cranked over but does not fire up??

And why did you need to start it again? Does it stall?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The engine does not fire up again, I wanted put it back in the garage. It does not stall it just won't start again. I think it might be the starter. thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 00, 07:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If the starter operated and cranked over the motor but the car wouldn't start, I don't think it's the starter...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 00, 08:08 AM

you are either not getting fuel or have no spark then. check for spark first then check wires, test your coil, and look inside distributor. might be time for the hei
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 00, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Allen

Thanks for all the replys

well the other day i checked the fuel filter in carb, looked ok, found some blue paint chips, i recently had the car painted blue. Dont know if there is a connection.

but anyway the car started rough and began to run at high idle. I checked each plug for spark as it was running, spark was good.
One thing i noticed on the two rear plugs closest to the fire wall when i pulled the wire off about a 1/2 inch or so the car seemed to run better. Is this an indication i need new wires or plugs. also noticed no arching.

anyway the car was then running strong after i fooled with wires. I got daring and took it for a drive around the block. I made it back with no incident. I then pulled in the garage, to save myself the push, and shut it off. I then tried restarting it, it fired right up! I know i am just as confused. sometimes it wants to run sometimes it doesnt. So i really didnt change anything and it ran fine. Although i did notice a good amount of white smoke coming out the tailpipes and smell of unburnt gas, need to adjust carb right, can anyone tell me best way to do that. I am a novice at making an engine run right, carb is original 2 barrel.

once again thanks for all the replies and help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode