fuel gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 02, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

hey guys...the other morning i hopped in my car and the fuel gauge pegged right past 3 o'clock...whats the problem??gauge or sending unit...most logical is sending unit but logic works half the time with cars...loljust need help to try to see if i can troubleshoot the problem with out replacing the gauge and sending unit...and when i unplug the three wire plug from the gauge nothing moves...so any help is already appreciated....thanks guys...

------------------
'69 SS350, '041 heads 202's, edelbrock torkerII, 1407 edel 750, CC valvetrain, 280H cam(i believe) didn't build , somewhere around 10:1 CR(if my #'s were right) no clue what she's pushing or how she'll run ready to find out though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 02, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech

sounds like the wire grounded out, so it could either be the sending unit, or a faulty wire somewhere.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 02, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Sending unit ground going open?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 02, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
John

Check for a blown tail light fuse.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 02, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech

I had the same problem and I changed the shunt resistor (back of gauge. looks like a peice of ceramic with wires wraped around it). Cost about 7 bucks through Heartbeatcity, and the gauge works perfect.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 02, 04:55 PM
msb

A quick check. Unhook the sender, gauge should be pegged full. Jumper the wire to ground, it should go to empty. If it passes the sender is bad, if not the problem is inside the car.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 02, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

If nothing actually broke (ie: the guage or sending unit), then it's a ground problem. The fuel guage system has two necessary grounds - one on a wire that runs from the sending unit in the tank to a screw on one of the fuel tank mounts - the other is at the guage cluster above the bright light indicator on 67s and 68s. I don't know where the guage ground is in a 69. I'd check the grounds first, as they are easy to check and will produce these symptoms if they are faulty.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

My 1967 Camaro
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 01:38 AM
Tech Team

There's a brown wire on top of the fuel tank that goes up into the back of your trunk. Mine came loose on top of the tank and I snapped it back into place with a long flat tip so I didn't have to remove the tank. Do a search on here as one of the posts has a link to detailed troubleshooting procedures for this common problem.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 02, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys....all it was was a bad connection on top of the tank...but thanks to all the guys that helped me out learned about diagnosing...thanks again guys

------------------
'69 SS350, '041 heads 202's, edelbrock torkerII, 1407 edel 750, CC valvetrain, 280H cam(i believe) didn't build , somewhere around 10:1 CR(if my #'s were right) no clue what she's pushing or how she'll run ready to find out though
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 02, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

That is exactly what msb and I were referring to in our posts.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode