Timing - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 03, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

How do I determine the best timing setting for my small block, Mildly built, but it seems to run better at 10 to 12 btdc rather at 4 to 8, is 10 to 12 to far advanced ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 03, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech

Something the 'old timers' taught me about timing......... Us the light to get it in the ballpark, then advance to a nice idle then take it for a test spin. "Lug" the motor in a higher gear to check for spark knock (pre-ignition). If you didn't get a spark knock then advance it a bit more or until you hear a spark knock under load then back it up just enough for it to quick spark knocking. It works but I usually set my small block with mild cam around 8 to 12.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 03, 12:35 AM
Tech Team
john

At the risk of opening a can of worms, thought I would add my thoughts based on what Iíve read and what has worked for my set up. I have a mildly built 327 with a points distributor, stock coil and Crane adjustable vacuum can. Tools used were a vacuum gauge, timing tape, dwell meter/tach and a timing light.

I first wanted to determine the maximum total timing my engine would handle. With the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, made a note of my initial timing and the RPMs where my maximum mechanical advance was reached. I would then make a full throttle run through 2nd gear and listen for pinging. If I heard none then advanced timing 2-3 degrees and tried again. When I heard pinging, retarded the timing by 2 degrees and did another trial run to verify no pinging. Made a note of my initial and maximum timing settings. In my case 40 degrees BTDC.

To set my initial, I first used the scroll plate supplied with the Crane adjustable canister to limit total vacuum advance to 7-10 degrees. Then with all vacuum hoses connected and air filter on, connected the vacuum gauge to full manifold vacuum. Adjusted timing to achieve highest vacuum attainable. Then retarded timing to drop highest vacuum reading by 2 inches. Compared my new initial setting (20 degrees) with my old initial setting and modified my mechanical advance so it would not exceed the maximum timing limit I had determined earlier. To eliminate any part throttle pinging, fine tuned the rate of vacuum advance using the directions supplied with the Crane adjustable vac can. So far no problems and car seems real responsive.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 03, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the help guys!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 03, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech

Is 10-12 advanced too far advanced. Hehehe pardon me for still laughing. Hehehe. Sticking with a stock set-up 10-12 is just right. 18 or so could possibly improve performance wise. Do a search and you'll probably find out some guys disconnect the vacume advance and run their timing much higher and some times run a rock solid advance for whatever rpm the engine will see. 16-18 staying stock can give you better performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode