86 camaro starts when it wants - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

I have a 86 camaro 2.8l fuel injected. Lately it has had issues with starting. I could drive it fine but, say i went inside a store it wont start sometime i have to wait a few minutes or as of right now days. This does this in any weather. I have heard a humming noise when i was trying to start it though from the rear of the car.
The spark is good and all my wiring is in place an secure and everything seems ok, Is it the fuel pump, fuel filter and if so is it that hard to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech

First of all the humming noise you hear is the fuel pump priming the injection system. This is normal. I'm assuming the engine is cranking and it's not firing. If you never changed the fuel filter I would try that first. It's a metal canister usually closer to the rear just follow the fuel line back. These can easily be replaced with a set of wrenches. Be careful because the fuel system usually stays pressurized and you don't want gas spraying on a hot trouble light. If that doesn't fix it have your fuel pressure checked. The regulator or the pump could be bad. Just a few suggestions.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 30th, 02, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

ok As soon as i get my car back home i will try that...I will let ya know if it was the filter. Thanks alot

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 02, 06:01 AM
bigboyp4

my 85 maro had a 2.8l. it did the same thing. i didnt think it was the pump, but i eventually changed it and it ran every time. weird because you would think that if it was bad it wouldnt work at all but oh well. another thing before the pump (since thats a b**** wiggle the connector(2 wires) between the coil and distributor. that also was pimpin me and causing the car to die and not start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode