67 Dashlights no glow - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Strange problem with my 67 standard interior dash. With the headlights off my dash appears to operate correctly. Key on lights up the Gen, Brake, and Oil lights and fuel guage shows the correct level.

When headlights are turned on no dash illumination and the fuel guage starts a steady drop towards empty, also the turn signals both glow green unless I turn the headlight switch all the way to the left like you were manually turning off the dash lights.

I've read previous threads about gas gauge problems and checked the ground and connector in the trunk. I thought I found the problem back there from a trailor light harness that had been spliced into the existing wires, none of the original wires were cut (just the insulation stripped back) so I removed the trailor harness and taped each wire to insulate it. This looks a lot cleaner but didn't have any effect on my problem.

------------------
Damon Linkous
'67 Camaro Z21
http://www.linkpro.net/camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 04:37 PM

There is a wire ground on the middle screw of the dash cluster cover. A lot of times it's not been put back when the covers been off or the srews not tight. Also check ALL your grounds. I spent three days cahsing a similar problem. Good luck Pete

------------------
67 red camaro convertible, 78 silver anniversary vette, 1976 kz900, 1985 Z28 camaro, 1971 chevelle. Too many toys now My four car garage is no longer big enough.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by no1dc:
There is a wire ground on the middle screw of the dash cluster cover. A lot of times it's not been put back when the covers been off or the srews not tight. Also check ALL your grounds. I spent three days cahsing a similar problem. Good luck Pete
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Genius!! At first when I read this I thought, naah, I've already checked the grounds and all the wires go where they should and I know that my dash has not been apart to cause a problem.

But I looked anyway, I tried to work my hand up to behind the cluster to that top middle screw position but it was impossible. Then I noticed that the screw was missing from that location!

I found a screw that fit from my "miscellaneous" pile and behold, dashlights!! And a working fuel gauge!! And turn signals that blink at the correct speed instead of very very slowly!!

Amazing what one bad ground can do. I went for a drive in the dark and didn't have to use a flashlight to check my speed.

Thanks so much no1dc, and thanks to Team Camaro for providing this forum. How else would I have ever figured that out?

------------------
Damon Linkous
'67 Camaro Z21
http://www.linkpro.net/camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode