Rally Headlight Doors - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 02, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I recently rebuilt my entire rally headlight system on my 69 Z/28 RS and replaced all the washers, bushings, etc. I used lithium grease on all the moveable parts. The doors now work but there is quite a lag between the time one door opens/closes and the other opens/closes. They also seem to be struggling a bit. I was curious if this is the way I should expect it to be or maybe I have another problem I've overlooked. Also, the vacuum on my 302 has consistently been low (around 5-8) but the vacuum canister does seem to be alright. I know this because when I turn the car off and use the manual open/close switch, I can usually get another open/close cycle out of the residual vacuum. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Eric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 03:06 AM
Senior Tech

I think if you solve the low vacuum problem everything else will fix itself. First make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Check all the hoses, canisters, base of the carb, etc. If you can't find any leaks try retuning the engine and carb. Even with a lumpy solid lifter cam 5-8 inches of vacuum seems low.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 1 2Run...I will check for vacuum leaks. However, I was still curious about whether your rally doors open relatively at the same time or does one lag behind the other?

------------------
69 Camaro Z28/RS, Hugger Orange w/ White Stripes, Chambered Exhaust, Endura Bumper, Protect-o-plate, Original Window Sticker

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 12-14-2002).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech

I installed a RS grille kit from Classic, the left door opens and closes slower then the right door, can't find any leaks or any other problem. I even switched vacuum canisters to see if one worked better then the other, was still slow on the left side
jamieour cars
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

69lemans,
I'm not sure if it gets any better than that. I don't think even when these cars were brand new that they opened at the same time. For now, at least I know someone elses car does the same thing and since they work, I'm happy with that.
Eric.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech

Yea, I finally settled on them at least working.
jamie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Eric, how did the installation from Classic go? I'm thinking about converting my 69 to RS also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode