fuel gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 67 camaro and when I turn the ignition switch to the on position the fuel gauge in the intrument panel goes to the full position, well actually it goes way past the full mark. I think that it does this because the sender is not working properly, i know that it is hooked up but i am not totally sure that there is an actual sender in the tank itself. Anyone know why it may not be working, or do I just need a whole new sender??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech

The fact that your guage max's out is an indication you might have a bad ground. The sending unit is in the gas tank. The hot wire is located in the trunk and runs off of the rear light wiring harness. The wire itself comes off a 2 wire connecter and goes through the trunk floor in front of the gas filler tube. If you disconnect this, your guage should go to empty. The ground wire should be located on top of the tank near the passenger side. It connects to a screw or bolt near the front of the tank strap. Check to make sure you have a good ground. Aside from dropping the tank and pulling the sending unit, I don't know how to test it. Do a search on this subject. It was discussed in detail in mid December. I had the same problem and it eneded up being the ground wire.

------------------
http://geocities.com/mike67rs/1.html

[This message has been edited by Mike67RS (edited 01-09-2001).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Talking

thanks for the information, i did do a search and i found what i needed, or what i think i need. I will get my car back in about a week, thanks again

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

On a 67 (as with my 68) the hot wire to the sender is tan. I don't know what color the ground is.

Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech

Zac,

Definitely sounds like a ground problem. Also, check the ground on your guage cluster. The center screw above the bright light indicator goes through a little wire loop that connects to the printed circuit board on the guages. The loop gets squished against the metal dash when the screw is tightened, supposedly grounding the instrument panel. If this ground is iffy, your guage lights may still work, but the gas gauge may not. I had this problem in my 67, and cleaning and manipulating the little wire loop did the trick for me. If you have any questions about this, email me.....I've had my guage cluster out several times and have got it down to a science now.

[email protected]

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 09:50 AM

I had a problem on my 69 and it was the plug on my gauge needed cleaning.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thx for all the help, i can mess with it until about a week when it gets out from having work. I know that the ground in the cluster is not there so i will have to put one there. I am not sure about the other ground from the tank. Thanks again
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

instead of droping the tank..if you want to..there is a spot in the trunk that you can knock out to get at the sending unit...they used to do that at dealership's, saved on labor time and they made more mony that way...you just tac weld it back in place..i bet if some of you look in your your first gen trun's you will see a knock out and it is tac welded...not all but some..if you are not trying to make the car perfict..i would do this and it was a comon practice back then..it was normaly brazed back to gether..and that is a form of welding .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Lightbulb

It sounds like a bad ground to me too. Don't forget that there are two grounds to check. One for the gauge - somewhere in your console and one for the sending unit. Both ground to the chasis. I would suspect the one from the sending unit - it is a black wire on my 68 and connects with a small sheet metal screw to the bottom side of the trunk near the front, passenger side of the gas tank. Because of the location it is prone to corrosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode