timing - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

1976 Camaro, rebuilt 350 engine, originally everything new except for intake manifold & carb. Timing would not set correctly, car backfired and unable to drive. Was told to install new mainfold & carb, so we did. Still unable to set timing or drive car, backfires. Overheats within 10 minutes of starting the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech

Is your timing chain positioned correctly or possibly worn and jumped?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 06:58 PM
XK1
Senior Tech

First thing I'd do is check the firing order. If OK, pull #1 plug, Get the engine on the compression stroke, line up the balancer mark on 0 (assuning the balancer is correct) and be sure at that point the rotor is pointing at #1 position on the cap. Need to be sure you're not 180 deg off or a few teeth off.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech

XK1...what do mean by 180 degrees off. I've heard this before. The rotor can only installed one way...it has a square peg and a round peg. If the distributor shaft and rotor are pointing 180 degrees off, the motor won't run...sounds this engine at least runs a little..."overheats 10 minutes after starting". Thx for the insight.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 02:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

try to check your timing from the begining. Pull out number one plug and turn it over until your sure the piston is coming up on the compression stroke. When your sure the piston is all the way to the top then check your timing marks on the balancer to make sure it lines up with the timing marks on the timing chain cover degree marker. If the piston is all the way up and the two timing marks line up on the 0 mark then everything inside should be OK. Then look at your rotor and see if it points directly to where you have placed the plug wire from your number 1 cylinder. hope it all lines up. from there it's just minor timing light adjustments. Hopefully.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech

Fire that thing up and use a timing light to see if your timing mark jumps all over the place. Sounds to me like a heavily worn timing chain or that it has jumped time also. My 1st cam/lifter/timing chain install did just what you described...ran hot and backfired quite a bit. Turns out I had the timing gear 1 or 2 teeth off. It still ran...I drove it for several weeks until someone pointed this out to me.
Does your carb and intake get real hot after the engine has run for a few minutes?
------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

[This message has been edited by travis (edited 10-17-2001).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 01, 10:05 PM
Tech Team

Make sure you do not have the 305 timing marker and a 350 balancer or vice versa. I think the difference is around 10 degrees. Try turning the distributor about 10 degrees either way (if it stays running). If the car is firing through the carb, rotate the distributor about 10 degrees clockwise. If it firing out the exaust rotate the distributor about 10 counterclockwise. Then tune from there if this is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode