Is this to much engine? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

I know this isnt the place to ask this but you guys are full of great info and I am not sure about something. I am looking at a 70 camaro that has a 454 with a cam in it. Dont know the specs of the cam yet but do you think this is 2 much engiine. Body restoration from what I have been able to see is awesome. Motor looks amazing but I havent seen it in person yet. Almost, from the picture I have, looks like a crate motor. I am still working on more info and details from this guy but on general stuff what do y'all think? Guy wants 4500 and it seems like a great price. rying to figure out whats up.

------------------
Scott
73/74 mix. (Its a mutt) 73 350 bored 30 over, Th350 tranny. With the Lord willing, may we never have to drive a MiniVan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech

yeah, it's WAAAYYYY too much engine for you. so, as a friend, here's what I'll do. you buy the car, pull that WAAAYYYY too big engine out, and send it to me. in return, I will send you the original 307 out of my Nova. that should be just about right for what you need. I'll even let you pay the shipping both ways. I'm such a nice guy, eh?

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

You so funny HAHAHA.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech
John

it really depends on how the engine is built... a 454 is a good sized engine, but it can be plenty tame or pretty wild depending on how it is built. Get more specifics about the engine and we can give you a better idea of the streetability of the engine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Here is the description that I have from the add and a link to the picture I have of the motor. Still waiting for more details beyond what I have. Car is across country from me so I am having a tough time. Will be a big commitment on my part to make the trip for a car I havent seen in person yet. Try this link and see if it works. I put the picture on a Yahoo photo album. I think it will work.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gateruner...tos.yahoo.com/

70 camaro 454 mild cam,alum. intake,headers,flow master exhaust,steel cowl hood,new tires,new frt.calipers,#2 paint,vette rallies,late model buckets,p/s,manaul disc brakes,

------------------
Scott
73/74 mix. (Its a mutt) 73 350 bored 30 over, Th350 tranny. With the Lord willing, may we never have to drive a MiniVan!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
John

generally the term "mild cam" means that the car will drive well on the street.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

Too much engine? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that term. It's like you're speaking Klingon or something. I'm currently building a 507 Caddy so 454 sounds kinda small.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

I am somewhat new at this engine size to the car bit especially if I was to try to drive it daily. A good friend of mine that has more knowledge about motors heard it and said Thats to much engine for that car. My take on it is, keep your foot out of the gas pedal and you should be ok. Would give you some good options if you want to go to the track. (never done that before but always wanted to) I think tgis car is awesome and I am just fishing for opinions that I consider good judgement. This board usually gives that, but then you dont know much about me either so i guess it would be hard. Does this make any since at all?

------------------
Scott

The ole Mutt
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gateruner...r+pics&.view=t
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 05:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Scott,

The description sounds like it's a mild big block, certainly not too much motor for the car. These cars came factory with big blocks. As long as you can live with the gas mileage, which would be less than a small block more than likely, I see no problems here.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 02, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech

I'm with Jody. Generally a really wild cam, too much compression, and extremely low gears are what makes a car unstreetable. If you can run pump gas, get it to idle decent, and drive 60 mph without taching four grand the extra cubes just makes it more fun to drive. Usually a big engine with a mild cam will make lots of low end torque which means you can run higher gears. The torque comes in handy when you want to paste someone to the seatback.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode