HELP Quickly!!! Car won't start... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 99, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I have a 69 camaro with a 71 camaro steering column and I was trying to get the horn to work, (putting in all the components in the steering wheel). I left the pieces intact on the steering wheel. I took a break for a little while. Then drove the car about 15 minutes (started and ran fine). Came out an our later and the car will not start.

I turn the key and I don't get anything. The headlights will dim. There is no click from the starter, and obviously the distribtor doesn't do anything. I have tried banging on the starter, the voltage regulator, and shaking the wires in the engine compartment. The battery appears to be fine, I tried jumping it and same thing happens. I checked all the fuses. All the wires appear to be fine.

I am thinking somehow I killed the voltage regulator. Is there anyway to check? Wouldn't the starter still click though? Any suggestions?

The killer is, I had to leave the car at a relatives in the street!!! So I have to resolve this situation rather quickly!

Thanks

------------------
Tony Montemagni
1969 Camaro (base)
350/PG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 99, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech

I suspect by now the car has started. Sounds like a case of heat soak in the starter. Either that or the main battery cable to the starter is corroded. Try a new cable, then get into the starter. tom
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 99, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

OK, I went back today after the cars been sitting for about 12 hours, I turn the key and it starts. Now that gets me mad!!

I replaced the voltage regulator just in case, ($9.99), just to be safe.

The battery cables are brand new. I'm not sure what you mean about the starter (heat soak). I hate to drive it now, cause I'm not sure if the problem is fixed. Can I test the starter?

What is my next step?
Thanks...

------------------
Tony Montemagni
1969 Camaro (base)
350/PG

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 99, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

It happened to me again last night. I drove around for about 45 minutes, stopped, let the car sit for an hour and then I could not start it. I repeately tried for the next 3 hours, but nothing. I even tried cooling down the starter by putting a towel with ice on top of it. This morning, I went back and tried to start it and it started with no problem.

Just to see narrow it down even more, tonight, I drove the car around for 30 minutes, stopped at my house, and tried to start it and it wouldn't start.

Is there something wrong with the solenoid for the starter or the starter itself? Or do I have a overheating problem that I don't know about and the starter is getting fried. (The temp gauge never goes above 165 degrees.) BTW: I replaced the voltage regulator yesterday.

Suggestions/Comments/Flames???

------------------
Tony Montemagni
1969 Camaro (base)
350/PG

[This message has been edited by TonyMonte (edited 05-16-99).]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 99, 07:42 AM

Tony, what normally happens is that the starter gets hot, the armature and stator expand and collapse the gap between them. the two parts of the starter jam together and the armature can't move. This is sometimes called heat soaked. The best solution I have seen is to replace the starter with a high heat starter. If you can find one. Some people say that they have used larger wires to the starter, this provides more cranking amps. I had an old cadillac which I had to carry a spare battery in the trunk. I hooked up both batteries and that would start the car. You might try a larger battery.

Point is the starter is getting stuck and you have to either get a starter that doesn't stick or enough cranking amps to force the starter to move. Good Luck, your not the first or the last person with this anoying problem. Let us know how you come out!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 99, 06:27 PM

Tony,

I would suggest, that when you replace the starter, that you also get a solenoid relocation kit(you can get them through most mail order catalogs, eg. Summit, PAW, etc) These kits move the solenoid to the fender wall like the Fords have, helping to protect it from the heat from your exhaust(especially if you have headers).
From my experience even the "high heat" starters give out after awhile, and you'll have to explain to your better half, why you cars down at the local tavern(not a good thing...trust me) I've had my kit on my car for three years now, and had no problems yet.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 99, 06:40 PM

tony ,
from one chevy lover/camaro owner to another this is one of chevys goofs.i took a ford sol. and mounted it away from my engine and headers and have'nt had any(none) problems to this day.might sound a little weird to put a ford part on such a car but hey my ride has never let me down due to heat soak.
mark pruitt
[email protected]
1972 camaro
408 mighty mouse
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 99, 12:43 AM

Tony,
Do yourself a favor and have your battery checked. It sounds as if you may have a dead cell in the battery. The symptoms of a dead cell are, the car will start after setting for a long period. After your drive the car, turn it off and try and restart with in a short period you will have nothing. Im not saying this is your problem 100%, but I will tell you I have had this happen to me and the symptoms are just as you explane. Also I have a 67 camaro with a 396 big block with planty of heat under the hood, running a stock starter and I have no problems with heat soak.
Its Just a Thought!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode