shift kit related susp./rear end problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 00, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

the tranny in my '78 was rebuilt earlier this year with a shift kit installed. now under medium accelleration it really slams it into gear, and under hard acceleration it smokes the tires. I have a really high rear end ratio (2.41 posi) so this makes it even harder on the car. after some hard use now when I floor it going into second at 40-50mph, upon shifting, the car squirms really hard, it seems as if the left of the car is forced to the right a little bit. Instead of a crisp jolt forward on shift, it is really mushy, & I feel uneven body sway and it makes the body roll to the right. At first I thought I had broken the main leaf spring where it bolts in to the diffential. I looked to see if there were marks on the spring of movement ft. to rr. and no sign there except for on one of the secondary springs, looked like it may have been moving a half inch or so. now I'm thinking I may have sheered off the locator pin that goes through the center of the springs up and down where they bolt in.

I'll probably try with a new set of leaf springs first, but I just want to make sure it's nothing structural or serious. is this a possible symptom of a broken rear tranny mount? I broke one once before, this was prior to the shift kit.

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 00, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Also, I replaced the springs several years ago with springs out of a junkyard firebird, and just found that the left has 5 leafs and the right has 6. now I notice that the left tire sits a little farther forward than center.

This is making me think that the left rear tire is being allowed to shift back in the wheel well a good bit. the car then corrects itself immediately and the body sways back to a forward position.
it also makes a hard thump when it launches into second now, coming from the rear suspension also.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 00, 11:26 AM
BC

Chuck, have you checked to be sure your axle is not slipping on the springs? HAs this happen on a friends Nova once after he put in high horsepower motor and got it hooking up really well. It would cause real squirrelyness (is that a word?) upon hard acceleration, but would straighten out afterwards and be pretty much in 'normal' position when he stopped so it was hard to find. We put some serious u-bolts on and cured his problem. Just a thought...

Bill C.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 00, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Bill C -
Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping it is in the springs. I am going to get a second job this winter to afford to repaint it, rebuild the suspension, and throw in a fresh small block 400 with double hump heads... so first thing on the agenda is new rr shocks, leaf springs, and sway bar. if the heavy duty U bolts solve the problem then I will go ahead on the rest of the upgrades.

How do I go about getting a heavy duty U bolt that will fit this? I assume it's a pretty standard outside axle diameter, is this a big deal? do I need thicker U bolts, or what???? What exactly do you mean by "serious?" what about the plate that they go through that is under the leafs? drill it out, replace it, what?

THANKS BILL!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 00, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Red face

i didn't consider this, but I was once told that 2nd gen. camaros had a tendency to rust out a lot where the front leaf spring mount is.
Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

I am thinking my problems would be much more serious if this were the case, but it has gotten worse over the past few weeks of medium hard driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode