Please Run!!! Please!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 03, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Exclamation

I have an 87 Z-28 5.0L that darn near refuses to run. this one has got me and a few other guys stumped. The car idle's very roughly and either backfires or detonates (i don't know what the difference is). Once it is above 2000 RPM's or so, it will run pretty ok. I've checked fuel pressure and timing, and they were all on point. I got a "lean exhaust" trouble code. What could cause an engine to run so badly at lower than 2000 RPM's but almost fine above? When i was checking timing i noted that my spark plug had oil deposits. Could something leaking give me that huge of a problem? This breakdown was not gradual, it was fine one minute, and then has given me hell since. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 03, 06:02 PM

If you are getting a lean exhaust code, does the engine want to surge up and down at idle? When getting a lean exhaust code, it is almost always something to do with a vaccum leak somewhere or fuel pressure. When you checked your fuel pressure, did you see what max pressure was by crimpping off your return line? Check your throttle body gasket too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech

If the problem exists when the engine is cold, you can probably rule out O2 sensors for the moment since they are not used when the system is open-loop (such as when cold). I'd check all plugs (sounds like you checked one at least). A lean mixture or cylinder should show on the plug(s). Any chance the oily plug is really just wet with fuel from improper ignition? Compression check is warranted.

-dnult

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 04:20 PM

Smile

Check the EGR valve,it can stick open or the base gasket can make a vaccum leak.I have fixed a few with this problem [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Wink

Well, I've done a compression check on the first three cylinders and found all of them to be low, and have oily plugs. Considering the mileage (190,000) I'm going to break down and rebuild the engine (never rebuilt prior) guess cars can't live forever, huh? lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech

Did you prop the trottle plates open when doing your test? What pressure did you see. It's more important for the pressures to be balanced between cylinders than to look for a particular pressure. Cams and other peticulars can vary "normal" pressure readings considerably.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Oh wow...well, they all read 90 (specs at 100-150). I've already started tearing the engine down and i'm almost sure there was oil present in the coolant, what kinda of color would that be? It was very whitish/tanish (orignally green!) One way or another that car is pretty much heading for the scrap yard, so i figure i should at least use it as my "learning" car and see if maybe i can't rebuild it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech

Oil in the coolant will puddle on top in the radiator. It will tend to be frothy like a milk shake. Brown coolant usually is just overdue for a flush. Rust turns the water brown. There can also be some frothing from bacteria. Oil froth is very easy to spot...it will coat the cap with foam. If your suspecting oil, drain the oil and see if antifreeze comes out from the bottom of the pan.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Not to laugh at the problems of others, but it's kinda funny....another guy in this section can't get his engine to shut off...maybe you two could compare notes and meet somewhwere in the middle!!? Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode