Ran over large animal - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I ran over a large large animal and it went right under my car and it is so low to the ground that it felt like it picked up my whole car ...Now it is running funny and makes odd noises ...does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong...it hit everthing under my car, could it have hurt something badly?? I have a 96 Camaro --V-6...Automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally posted by foxycamgirl:
Now it is running funny and makes odd noises ...
The animal or the car? If it's the animal I'd take it to a vet...if it's the car, a mechanic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech

Was it a cow? buffalo? hog? deer? raccoon? skunk? dog? cat? bird?

Some of these probably could't hurt the car, but if it was any of the first four, I'd put the car on a lift and look underneath and see what doesn't look right. BPOS "mechanic' suggestion is also sound.

Did you stop to see if the animal was hurt?

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 01:52 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
I hope the "animal" was a mustang < car not horse>

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech

Was it an EX???

67 Blown Alcohol Camaro "The Combat Rat" 8-71 and E-85/71 BB SS Chevelle "cheap street" (clone) 12.871 @ 107.59 w/1.915 60' and spinning /2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv./74 454 El Camino .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 05:06 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Guys, at least try to help if you are going to make fun of her accident!!

It sounds like you were not hurt, that's the most important thing. Any number of things from bent suspension parts, broken engine and trans mounts to broken wires and crushed under body metal. The spoiler is the most exposed right under the bumper start there.

As for finding a mechanic, have a male friend that knows a little about cars go over the car with you and then get him to go with you when you take it in...

What did you hit?

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech

Try to define what runs funny is.
When driving on a flat level road try letting go of the steering wheel to see if the car goes to one side then also let off the gas and see which way it goes then hit the brakes and see which way it goes. A heavy dose of front end out of alignment like one of gods greature like an Ex Milan was talking about can take a car out of alignment.
Some shielding, ducting and brackets might also be loose giving noises. Not sure but the newer models have been putting front of the grill air intakes in and if that portion was disconnected by impact your car would be off the mark in tuning. Could of even disturbed the transmision linkage, brake line mounts or whatevers making the car out of it a bit. My advice if you do take it to a mechanic is to not mention any of the stuff mentioned here and make sure he reports what damage he finds before doing work. Some mechanics are in shady shops that will drag things on till you are worse than out of money.
You can check the intake ducting just by popping the hood and making sure everything is secured. Pretty much follow the path of the animal going under the car for damage.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Thank you guys for your help and for being nice about it ..unlike some of the replys. I came here for help not to be made fun of. So again thank you for your help and time!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech

So what is runs funny? You have to remember the common trait of some humans is the radio stays on all the time. The first time driving the car without the radio on a person will think their car has problems because they can hear their car. One good cure is headers and loud exhaust to drowned out car noises [img]smile.gif[/img] . But anyway if it's just you thinking the car sounds funny it might be a case of after the accident you are more sensitive to what the car is doing with hightened awareness of every noise. I would imagine you possibly loosened up, bent or busted hangers on the exhaust and possibly other things on the underside of your car. Mental trauma can make awareness's shift drasticly. Like going from this car is cool to this car just got messed up. Just find the actual problems and be happy again. Good luck.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 03:43 AM

foxycamgirl,
I once ran over a deer at night with my 88 Camaro. The deer had all ready been hit and was lying in the middle of my lane. I ran over it at 70 MPH and I swear the whole car jumped in the air.
The only major damage that I suffered was a bent shifter cable. It shifted the car into second gear and I could not get it into drive until I got under the car and bent it straight.

You may want to look under the car for visual damage. I would also check the exhaust. A little more information on what you mean by not running good would also help us.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech

Foxy,
You really need to find a mechanic, gas station or friend who has a lift. You need to have a thorough look-see under the car. And don't just have someone look at it for you. Take a look for yourself, start to de-mystify the process. At this stage, I think its safe to say, you don't need to go to the dealer. I know a lot of women are afraid of being ripped off, and if that's the case I'm sure you have a male friend that can spare a few minutes to go with you. If its something simple thats just rattling around, anyone can fix it. If its more involved, then you weigh your options. If you live close enough to one of our Team Camaro board guys, maybe they'll lend a hand! But, most of all, don't lose your sense of humor. You have a Camaro...you'll need it! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode