lifter noise - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

recently rebuilt my 327...used to have iron heads, comp 268h cam, lifters, and crane roller rockers, two of the oil passages to the top end have been resticted to reduce the amount of oil under the value cover....everything was fine....

now since the reuild i have added dart pro1 aluminum heads, no other changes to the top end and now the lifters sound like a solid cam....have tried adjusting cold, hot, with the motor running, without the motor running...just about everything....there is plenty of oil ..the pushrods are always full when i look, and i can see oil when the motor is running...did not have the problem before the addition of the aluminum heads..can not think of any reason for the noise to be there....any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 05:33 PM
David Pozzi

Check your pushrod length and rocker geometry.
Your heads may have longer than stock valve stems throwing the geometry off.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 10-28-2000).]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Dave, and also check the push rod guides to be sure the clerance, and alinement is ok. Did your heads come with the studs in them or did you have to buy the studs seprate? What Dave means about geometry is, are the rocker arms setting in the right position at zero, closed, and are the rockers clearing on the bottom by the stud.

Larry

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks for the suggestions guys....the heads came complete with the studs installed and i had to install the guides that dart supplied.
everything "looks" ok....not really sure how you check the push rod length..will read up on it and check it out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 06:37 AM
Tech Team

The Dart head does require a longer pushrod.When you bought the heads, did you tell them what engine and cam you are running? The heads would of had to be set up acordingly. And also, the Pro 1's, even the 200cc heads, are a bit much for the 327 and especially that little cam. The 327 doesn't make a lot of torque anyway, and you are taking some of that away. The cam is too small to allow the engine to RPM high enough to make any horsepower. I would think that the place that sold these at least talked to about it. That is a nice head, But I am just thinking that you won't be happy ,with the money you spent. My opinion anyway Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

galen: thanks for the info..i will call Dart and talk with them...the recommendation for the heads came from a friend who runs the same head and is very happy with them...i may look into changing the cam...but do not want to get too carried away for the street....the 327 has been bored to 40 over so it is alitte closer to around 340 something now...that helps the bottom end torgue thing alittle.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 02:50 PM
Bill

J,
I think the problem is the oil restrictors. If you read the instructions that come with them, they tell you they are for mechanical lifter cams only. They do not allow enough oil pressure to the lifters to allow them to work properly. If they are the type of restrictors that screw in the back of the block in place of the two oil galley plugs, it is simple enough to remove them, even though you will have to pull the trans. If they are the "drilled set screw" type though, you will have to disassemble the motor to get them out. They are installed behind the back cam bearing.
I think the problem was probably there before the aluminum heads...they just tend to carry the noise out a bit more than the cast iron ones.
The only other possibility, and I have seen this once before....if the Dart heads have larger valves than you had before...say 2.08's, the intake valves might just barely be catching the edge of the valve relief in the piston. If the pistons have not been flycut, this is a very good possibility and would explain why it started with the new heads. This happened to a customer of mine with a 302 Ford motor. They put on a set of heads with larger valves without checking valve to piston clearance and the thing always sounded like a solid lifter cam with the adjustment loose ! It actually ran pretty good, just noisy. It bent all the intake valves just slightly.
Cannot think of anything else that could cause it.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks for the info bill....yes the oil restrictors are the drilled set scres type and would require the motor to be torn down...hmmmm...might just be easier to go to a solid lifter cam....to avoid a tear down....the iron heads had 1.60 intakes..these darts are larger at 2.02 but they are not larger than a stock head, the pistons are flat tops and the chambers are 72cc's piston to value clearance should not be a problem..the cam has less than .500 lift
i do not even want to think about tearing it all apart again..should have thought about it when i had it all in pieces..duh!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 04:37 AM
Tech Team

Hey there J, What is this 327 in? Is this just a weekend car or the one you drive all the time? What was done to the 327 when it was rebuilt? Why the restrictors in the back of the block? What is it that you would like to see acomplished from all this, Fast street car?, a little more power? Just for fun? You mention a freind is running these heads and is happy with them, What does he have? I was thinking that before it gets out of hand, Lets make sure that you get the right parts and that they are towards whatever goal you have for this car. And if you call Dart, John there is pretty sharp,and can be some good help, talk to him if you can. Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

G, the motor is in a 68 camaro...used for the street..driven mostly on weekends...i went with the aluminum heads because i had camel hump with 64cc's and pop up pistons..way too much compression for a street motor...so i went to flat tops and 72cc heads...used aluminum for several reasons..cooler running, weight saving, better heads...etc...my friends car is a street/strip car..he has much more cam than i do..i am so far happy with the combo...performer intake, 750, hookers, th350 w/shift kit ...motor is strong and you can tell that with tweeking it could be real strong...but the lifter noise is driving me nuts....the restrictors where put in when the intended use was strip only and it had a solid lifter cam...forgot all about them when i had it taken apart...looks like it is going to come apart again....thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

spoke to John at Dart today...he told me that sometimes the pushrods may be too short, it all depends on deck height, gasket thickness, etc..said the nosie could be the pushrod length and to check it, but it is more than likely the oil restictors.....also asked him of the Dart heads where alittle too much for this engine combo...he said that with the small 200 cc chanbers it should work pretty good....if i went any bigger i would be in trouble..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode