No Crank, No Nothin' !!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I had run my car for about 20mins the other day. I was driving home from work, dropped into a store, and when I came out the car wouldn't start! Nothing, not evena clicking sound indicating a dead battery!! I was going to have a guy give me a boost, but I figured it wouldn't work, so I shorted out the starter, and headed for home.
When I got home I was baffled! After sitting for an hour or two, the thing started right up!!! I haven't had any troubles since, other than my heater core.
I had a guy tell me that when the car gets over 220 degrees, it shuts itself down, indicating a overheating problem?!?! I also had a guy tell me that to look for the wire going to my starter, if it's near my headers, it coul dbe getting hot and not carrying current.

What do you guys think??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

John http://autolegends.com/JohnRenderCamaro/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech
John

I have fried a battery wire and had the same symptoms... sometimes it was fine, other times not even a click of the starter. Might check it out.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Make sure the cable to your starter is clean and tight,both ends.Same with the negative cable.The solenoid will need more amps to energize it when hot.Check the purple (S)wire,make sure it is in good shape,with a good end(no crimp connectors)If it is a crimp connector...solder it to the wire.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks guys! I'll give it a try.

L8TR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech

You may also have the classic Chevy heat soak. Your header is cooking the heck out of solenoid. I would get a starter heat shield. That should help but you should replace the solenoid first then get a shield IMO.

------------------
68 SS 396
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I agree with camaroguy. If you are running headers I would be willing to bet that is what happened (and maybe even if your exhast is to close with manifolds). You will have this happen again if you don't take action. I use a heat wrap on my starter (it is simple to install and works great). It wraps around the starter and attaches to itself with velcro. Next time it happens could be the end of the solenoid and you will be stranded.

Royce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode