horn - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 99, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Is there an easy way to determine a fault in the horn circuit. The relay has power and I can make the horns work there but not from the column. The wiring seems intact to the base of the column where the harness connects. The car has a Grant aftermarket wheel with only one wire attached to the horn switch.

I just bought the car and everything works but this. Anyone have any easy solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 99, 12:59 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
mcpc,

You might want to pull your wheel and verify that the other end of the wire you mention is being held in place properly. If like mine you will find the wire goes down a hole to make its contact and is held in place by a spring and a small plastic retainer that is pushed in and turned to lock it in place.

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 99, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech

Use caution when removing the horn button. This is held on by a piece of bakelite that snaps in the metal center button and the plastic will crack or break. At the steering wheel the horn button makes a ground circuit so you can't short any thing out and hurt anything there. Probe around with a screwdriver and if the wiring is ok the horn will blow. tom

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 99, 08:33 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
To add to Tom's caution! If this fixes your horn you might want to disconect the batt before you put the horn button back on. As you snap the button back on the horn will blow and I had the button not go correct and I had to listen to it while I was prying it back off.

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 99, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I've removed the horn switch and find one wire that does go to the plastic piece and then to the spring loaded contact. That's there and all assembled properly. Should there be a second wire to ground or is it a single wire with the switch grounded to the column by means of the spring clip that acts as a retainer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 99, 12:05 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Just the 1 wire.. As tom3 points out when you push the horn button you are completing the ground part of the circuit for the horn. Make sure that you actually have ground on the part of the wheel that is contacted by the horn button. If you do and the horn still doesn't work you have an open in the wire between the wheel and horn. The wire might go through 2 or 3 connectors. Use the connectors to help isolate the problem. You might also start at the horn work toward the wheel as you did state you could activate the horn there. Be careful, only apply ground to the correct wire as you could cause damage grounding the wrong lead! Good luck!!!

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode