Starts then let go of key and it stops - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 28th, 02, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

ok, I know I probably caused this. I installed a line lock and wired it into the acc output on the fuse block. I turned the key on and I heard the click on the linelock solinoid. After I confirmed that everything was done I went to move the car. I turned the key and the engine fired, I let the key go and it falls dead. I can hold the key and the engine will run until I let the key go then It dies. I have a Mallory ignition system that was in the car when I got it. ok, I have 10 volts across the coil wires as long as the key turns and none when I let it go. Where is the voltage coming from to keep it going? Is there an inline resistor that I can't find? Fusable link? The terminal on the starter solinoid closest to the block was very loose. I tightened it up and it still won't stay running.

It is a 68 4-speed/350 with tunnel ram/black exterior and interior. can email jpegs.
Thanks
Jim Erickson
Yakima, WA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
There is a resistive wire from the firewall bulkhead connector to the Positive terminal on the coil.

This wire, plus IGN position of the ign switch provides run voltage after the engines starts. Starting coil voltage comes from the starter solenoid, yellow wire.

So, if an MSD is there now, this resistive wire was reomoved from the + post to a wire for the MSD unit. Some times there may be a ballast resistor there.

I would go back over your electrical hook-up and check surrounding areas for pulled wires, etc.

It could be the ignition switch itself, think of the age of the car, now multiply that by how many times it has been started, Quite a few times, huh?

Good luck, let us know how its going.....

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

I have a Mallory distributor and coil and CD type box. Does is the wire normally, and does it have a cloth covering? I will look tonight again to see what exactly I have. The ignition switch assembly was repaced last summer.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Yes, it has a cloth covering.
Okay, so switch has been replaced, but....

Everett
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 02, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I fixed it. The resistor wire was previously ripped out of the firewall connector and there was about 1 inch of copper strands sticking out of there. I found the loose wire that goes to the coil that is now a 12volt line. I connected the two and it worked like new. I really need to pull the connector out and put a new connector on the wire that goes to the coil so this won't happen again. I also have a problem with my line lock, but, I will start a new topic for it.

thanks again. This is a great forum.
Jim Erickson
Yakima, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode