crankcase ventilation - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 02, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

I can't run a pcv due low idle vacuum, 7hg at 1100, yes the cam is big solid in sbc. Evac systems using the exhaust only pull oil into the exhaust. I do have 2 large Moroso breathers installed with baffles in Moroso tall valve covers. I've heard of using smog pumps to evac the crankcase, but this seems limited with the addition of another belt. I recently saw a mech fuel pump used on the pull side connected to a breather. Would an elec work in the same manner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 02, 04:09 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

You might try the Smokey Yunick method. He used the holes in the valve covers and tied them together in the middle and had a puke tank mounted in the wiper area with 2 breather caps. Better than the alternatives I guess.

-Mark.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 02, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech

If you have good baffels inside the valve covers you should not pull oil through the headders. When I use the exhaust system to evacuate the crank case, I cut a 1/2 inch pipe nipple @ 45* then weld it on the headder near the collector area. I think you have done all of this, but the smog check valves then screw on the pipe nipples. This keeps exhaust out of the engine at idle, and gives some restriction to the flow at WOT. Most engines will have about 18" vacuum on the crank case at WOT set up this way.

Larry www.lnjstreetrods.com

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 02, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SS

I responded at the lnjstreetrods website about possibly purchasing the hardware for an evac system. Also how much vacuum is needed for pwr brakes, they used to work fine but I remember having an additional 2" for a total of 9, they do still seem to work but not as well. Anyway I am considering a vacuum reservior, but how far can it be mounted from the booster or other accessories, and could the evac system be junctioned off to help with such acessories such as brakes and accuators for headlight doors.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 02, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech

The extra vacuum canister will help but not fix the problem. The thing is when you get down slow and slow idle there is not enough vacuum for repeated brake pedal movements. There is no vacuum to be had from any where at that point. Distance on the extra vac storage should not matter. There are cars out there with belt driven vac pumps but like you have already said wow another belt driven something else. I will respond from my shop on the lnj question. That email goes there.

Thanks, Larry www.lnjstreetrods.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode