testing mechanical fuel pump - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My Holley 80gph mechanical fuel pump decided to stop working after about 4 hours of running time. The pump is almost a year old and barely moves the gauge off of 0 psi at idle. At one point it made almost 1 psi but when I brought the rpm up the pressure went down? I pulled off the supply side and put the hose right in a cup of gas and it still didn't make pressure. Anything else I can do to verify my pump is dead before I buy another today?
I have a Holley electric but I cannot find a decent place to mount the thing. So I am giving up and going back to mechanical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
350, TKO 5-speed, Moser 12 bolt - 3.73, not as many parts in boxes as before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy
You could do a vacuum test -see if your pump is producing any suction form the inlet side.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 01:59 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

More than likely the pump has a blown diaphram. This would not be rare at all. You may want to pull your oil dipstick and see if your oil smells like gas as well. Buy a new pump and you will be up and running.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I went and bought a cheapo 12.00 stock pump and it makes around 3psi. My tank, sender, and fuel lines are new so I don't think anything is stopped up. I blew a little air back through the line and it bubbled in the tank so I don't think anything is stopped up. This all started when I got the dumb idea of putting an electric pump in the trunk. I got a nice new holley pump and mounted it in the trunk. Went for a drive and around 1/4 tank the car was running out of gas. I came here and read that the pump must be mounted under the fuel level. After laying under my car for a couple nights trying to find a safe place to mount the pump I gave up and put the mechanical pump back on.
I am really thinking of putting a fuel cell in the trunk with the electric pump and being done with the whole mess. Simple things like this drive me crazy.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Also, I did have gas in my oil but I thought it was from the car being towed to the paint shop and a needle sticking in the carb...I tried starting it and it flooded real bad until I realized the needle was stuck. I changed the plugs and oil when it came home from the paint shop and only ran it another 1/2 hour when the cam wiped. I think this car project is just a big test of my patience.
What helps is my wife's constant complaining and the "I told you you should have just bought a corvette".

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

The Corvette comment has to motivate you. Do you have a vent line on your tank? If you plugged it that would lead to fuel starvation/lack of fuel pressure. It's like trying to pour gas out of a can with the little vent closed. Try removing your gas cap and see if you have more fuel pressure. If you do then you either need a vented cap or you need to find the vent on your tank and make sure it's open.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode