STILL having power steering problems!! HELP!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 00, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Question

I installed the valve from my original power steering pump into the new pump. Engine runs about 30 seconds and return line rubber hose pops off. I tightened the rubber hose really tight! Seems like way too much pressure in return line. I installed the valve with the flat face out and the spring behind it. My original valve was just a little shorter than the one that came with the new pump, but they are both the same diameter. My serpentine belt is turning clockwise, the pump is turning clockwise, steady stream of fluid comes out of the inlet fitting where the valve is located. Does all this sound normal? Both valves are the same on the small end with the screen. I believe the small end is supposed to go back with pressure and close off the small hole in the bottom of the inlet chamber. The difference between the two valves is from the three rings forward. the midsection of the new valve(doesnt touch the sides of the inlet chamber)is longer than the midsection of the original valve making the overall valve length about 3/8" longer. If the front two rings closest to the face of the valve serve only to stabilize the valve in its bore, then they are the same valve. Can fluid pressure get behind the valve via the reservoir and keep it pushed forward allowing unlimited pressure? I can see fluid in the reservoir circulating as the engine is running, never slows down until return line pops off. Return line pops off with engine idling. Please help me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 00, 09:40 AM
David Pozzi

Thumbs up

Sorry you're having so much trouble!
The pressure is actually controlled inside the little valve you removed. The nut on the end has a small shim on it's end. They vary the shim thickness to regulate pressure. There is a small spring and checkball inside the valve.
I'd be afraid to swap the valves if there is ANY difference in length.

The outlet fitting on the pump, does it have a small hole on the inside end? There should be a restriction on the outlet fitting (1/8" to 5/32" hole where it touches the pressure valve. This limits the flow Volume to the steering rack and dampens pulses. If for some reason you got a fitting with a large hole 3/16" or bigger, it would allow too much oil volume to go to the rack, and back to the pump, causing a backpressure that would blow the seals in the rack, and blow the return hose off.
It's normal to see some circulation in the reservoir, the return line blowing off tells me you have too much flow.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 00, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hey Davidpozzi,

I put the valve that came with the new pump back in, the small hole in the inlet fitting is 3/32". Everything seemed ok for a while, I let the car run about 10 minutes and everything was holding. I backed it out of the drive to test it on the highway but the return line popped off before I could get started. Should I check the checkball in the new valve? I really appreciate all your help with this. You're the only person who was willing to help me, or who knew enough about the pump and valve to be of any real assistance. AC-Delco would not answer my correspondence. Thanks again, any new suggestions?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech

Try to bleed the system befor you put power to the pump. fill the resovoir with fluid, both wheels off the ground, turn the wheels
(not the steering wheel) by hand full left to full right several times, this will bleed any air from within the box, lines and pump, turn the wheels slow.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 05:55 PM
David Pozzi

I didn't think to tell you but Rob is absolutely right about bleeding the system.
You need to get any air out of the system by turning the wheel left and right. Make shure to add fluid quickly to try and prevent the pump from running low and foaming the oil.

Maybe the best thing is to turn left, stop the engine, add oil, start engine, turn right, stop engine, add oil, until full.
When you hit the end of travel with the steering, don't let it sit there and pump hard. This makes the relief valve open and the pump is developing full pressure, aireating the oil.

It could be a big air bubble is coming out and the shock is blowing the hose.
After bleeding by turning left and right, don't drive it until it is topped up. If the pump is groaning it means the oil is foaming.
If that happens, just make shure you have it full, and let it sit overnight, check level in the morning, top it off and drive it.

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 03-14-2000).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 00, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I solved the problem with the power steering on my 88 Olds. I spoke to a certified master technician, Martin Seivers, who specializes in power steering and he assured me that the problem of blowing the return line and top seal in the rack and pinion unit was being caused by a restriction in the return line. He stated that fluid pressure in the return line should normally be around 40psi, and that in order for the pressure to build up enough to pop the return line off, there HAD to be some kind of restriction on the return path. After speaking to him I went out to the car and removed the pressure line from the reservoir, then I shined a light back behind the alternator mounting bracket where the return line was routed, and I discovered a short section of steel line that was hidden from view!(I had assumed the return line was rubber from the cooler to the reservoir). Actually the return line was rubber on each end with a short section of steel line in the middle. Apparently the mechanic who replaced the engine had accidentally flattened this section of steel line while tightening up the alternator mounting bracket. The line was COMPLETELY flattened between the bracket and the engine block. I promptly corrected the problem, and now the power steering works perfect. I wanted to post the solution to my power steering problem in the hopes that if anyone else posts here with rack and pinion top seals blowing or return lines popping off, someone can be quick to tell them that there HAS to be a restriction in the return line SOMEWHERE. I want to thank everyone who has helped me with this, as I have learned a great deal about power steering systems and how they function. Good luck to all and God bless! Dave.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 00, 06:23 PM
David Pozzi

Glad you finally got it. Now you are a power steering expert like us! Welcome to the club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode