problems after starting Iroc-Z - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 02, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

I have a 90 Iroc-Z 305 TPI. It seems to start fine, but it won't rev up and then after about 30 seconds or so, it'll just start dying and then finally shut off. It seems like it would be something to do with the fuel not getting where it needs to go. I was told that it might be the fuel pump or fuel filter. Does this sound right? And if it does, how difficult is it to put a new pump on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 02, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Yes, sure has the symptoms of a bad pump.

You may get lucky with the fuel filter, it's worth a try.

It's a lot of work to R&R fuel pump on those.

Try a search, as this topic has been discussed before.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 09-13-2002).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 02, 06:16 AM

It's pretty difficult to put a new pump & filter on. You have to remove the gas tank to do it. My son did it to my '86.

Sounds more like the throttle position sensor or idle control. You should probably hook up a computer to it to see.

They aren't very easy cars to trouble-shoot. I've got the Chevrolet shop manual (big thick book) and the Diacom computer interface (also Auto XRay, but that was just because I had lost my Diacom connector for a few months). It's hard (in my area anyway) to find anybody that actually knows how to work on them.

I wonder what its going to be like when those cars are 30 years old and people are trying to restore them...

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 02, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech

Hello CaMaRo19,
Welcome to the site. Have you checked to see what your fuel pressure is. It could be a bad fuel pressure regulator or your fuel injectors causing the problem.

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by trickster (edited 09-14-2002).]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 02, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

I usely have a little more help with this whole troubleshooting process. How would I check the fuel pressure? Also, would I take the car somewhere to get it hooked up to the computer to test it? Or is that something I can do?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 02, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech

Hey CaMaRo19,
No, you won't need to have it hooked up to a computer to test it. It is a simple one person operation. On the right hand fuel rail you will find what is known as a shraeder valve (kind of looks like a tire valve). You hook a fuel pressure gauge (you can find them at most auto parts stores for less than $20, or maybe borrow one from a friend)to it with the engine off. Place it where you can see it from the drivers seat, turn ignition to on but do not start car. Check to see what the pressure is, should be somewhere around 23 - 30 psi (not sure about the exact pressure here). It will come up and then drop a couple of psi and hold steady. If it doesn't, you could have one of several problems. (1)the fuel pressure regulator leaking down, (2)clogged fuel injectors, (3) clogged fuel filter, (4)clogged sock on pump, (5)leaking pulsator on pump, (6)bad fuel pump. By the way, is your fuel cap vented or unvented? Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 02, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trickster:
Hey CaMaRo19,
No, you won't need to have it hooked up to a computer to test it. It is a simple one person operation. On the right hand fuel rail you will find what is known as a shraeder valve (kind of looks like a tire valve). You hook a fuel pressure gauge (you can find them at most auto parts stores for less than $20, or maybe borrow one from a friend)to it with the engine off. Place it where you can see it from the drivers seat, turn ignition to on but do not start car. Check to see what the pressure is, should be somewhere around 23 - 30 psi (not sure about the exact pressure here). It will come up and then drop a couple of psi and hold steady. If it doesn't, you could have one of several problems. (1)the fuel pressure regulator leaking down, (2)clogged fuel injectors, (3) clogged fuel filter, (4)clogged sock on pump, (5)leaking pulsator on pump, (6)bad fuel pump. By the way, is your fuel cap vented or unvented? Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 02, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

I'll get out of work at 5:00, and then i'll be heading out to my car to see what I can do. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I will have my cell phone. Is there a way that I could get in touch with you if I run across something that I don't know about?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 02, 03:48 PM
Tech Team

ive got an 88 fromula firebird 305 tbi and i noticed that problom when the timing was messed up on the car. but to timing on that car you have to diconect the computer becuase it tried to reset it. you have to disconnect a cable that "on the 88" is on the passenger side near the firewall. i dont know if this will help you but i had a similar problem and it pointed to timing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode