frame rails - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 03, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Is there any "tricks" to replacing and fabricating new rear frame rails. Im starting restoration on a 72 camaro and have never had to replace a frame rail before. Any information would be appreciated.

Jarrod Bossie<br />1972 Camaro Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 03, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

Welcome to the Club! Lots of good info here and good people.

To answer your question about replacing frame rails. Search the vendors here for replacement rails and then drill out the spot welds and remove the old rails. Place new rails in place and weld from the top, where the drilled holes are placed. Then stitch weld the rails to the floor on the bottom to prevent warping of floor.

I believe Eastman sells aerosol protectant for the inside of the rail before it gets welded on. You might check their catalogue.

If you can't find preformed rails, you might have to make your own from 3/16" steel sheet or get some from a donor car.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 03, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech

I dont know what your welding skills are but if you are like me, I would call around to local welding shops and see if one of them can fabricate new ones for you and weld them in. They would probably need a template to cut the metal. If that is the case, go to the nastyz28.com message board and there is a current thread in the body section that is offering templates for this.
http://www.nastyz28.com/cgi-bin/Ulti...i?action=intro

1970 original owner, F41
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode