How to tell if its my 700R4 transmission - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 03, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Ok, I know very little about transmissions so bare with me. I was driving my 67 home from work the other day when slowly I noticed that it was getting harder for me to accelerate when driving. It progressively got worse, the more I stepped on the gas the less my car "went". My 700R4 has been slipping in the lower gears, is this what it could be? Again, sorry for the limited description and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech

Does the engine seem to be bogged down, or do the RPMs flare up and the car continue to putt along?

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

dnult,

Thanks for replying. When you say bogged down what do you mean exactly? It has no power when I step on the gas. I can put the pedal to the floor and I will only coast down the street at maybe 5 mph at the most. When I tried to drive it in this condition, I did notice black smoke coming from the exhaust. When it happened I had to have the car towed home because I wasnt going anywhere!

And for your second question, the RPM's seem to stay the same, although I didnt really pay attention now that you mention it. I didnt notice any excessive revving when I was trying to drive it home that day. I have started it up since this happened last week and it seems to idle fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. Let me know if this helps in any way and thanks man.

Joe

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech

Bogged down is like the carb/carbs are opened up wide making their noise but the engine can't reach it's rpm due to being held back and not being able to accelerate.
Check the linkage for proper operation. The smoke might be a super rich condition from jets or intake restrictions. Make sure everything is tightened down right like the distributor. Check the heat of the brakes after stopping like feel the wheels where they attach. There might even be impurities in the brake fluid expanding causing the brakes to apply from heating up the engine compartment and master. It might even be bad gas and fouled plugs.
Good luck.
Oh yah. Make sure any vacume lines to the trans are good with good seals. The lines are cheap to replace and feel comfortable it isn't them. Check the fitting connection area for leaks also.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Snatchin'gears,

Thanks for the help man, I will check all that stuff out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode