Z28 bogs down - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

here is the question? my brother has a 1982 z28 chevy camero and it has a 305 crossfire fuel injected, tbi. at first it would not start. He took it to a repair shop, and they got it started and charged him 180 dollars. i don't know how he got it home, but it will start ok and he can even rev the engine to 1500 rpm's, but if he puts it in drive it bogs down like it's choking out. he has limited funds. he is very knowledgeable about autos but he can't figure out this problem. He has put a timing chain, timed it, new plugs,etc.
if u need any more info. please let me know and I will give u all I can find out. thanx, mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 01, 06:13 PM

Cool

i would check easy things first. check the fuel filter and pump. check the cap and rotor also. are the any codes that come up on the computer? they could tell you whats going on. hope this helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 01, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
William

Pardon my personal opinion but this is a common theme here on Troubleshooting. Car doesn't run right; let's guess what is wrong. Everyone claims poverty, then proceeds to waste money replacing parts at random. If you don't know what you are doing, find a shop that does and expect to pay for their expertise. I had an '89 Olds with a problem that required factory intervention and 3 days to solve. The newer the car, the more complex and difficult they are to diagnose and repair. The independent repair shop next to our facility occasionally had to send a car to the dealer for repair if their equipment was not current enough.

Times have changed; cars have changed; your thinking has to change. Saturday afternoons with the timing light and dwell meter are gone for good.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 01, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

number one i bet u own a shop. then what r u doing in a forum like this isn't this called "troubleshooting" and there are people that need help just like you need help on what this page is for. DUH! and by the way this is help for my brother I happen to own a 240z
and i use a tech. page called z-car.com and the people there are the best i have ever delt with. this room has the most rude people i have met in all the tech. pages i have been in. to bad. maybe there is a connection on the type of car a person has with his personality, hope not!

------------------
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 01, 05:14 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Red face

Well how do I start!!! William, a little anger coming through in your words! You bring up very valid issues and if you put your words in the right context it would help the newer and younger visitors here understand. Doncomz28 didn't provide much but did say he could provide more info if needed.

Next, doncomz28 you're being real defensive here, if guys that owned shops or worked in the automotive industry didn't stop by we would be limiting our resources... It is obvious you and many of our newer visitors have very little automotive experience. If you watch your words as well and pay attention to the answers you can learn so much about automotives from this site.

Until recent times the forums here were for first generation camaros. There has been a big influx of 3rd gen problems and being the site that this is, we don't turn anyone away! One of the problems with the newer cars is they are computer controled. You need specialized test equipment to fix these cars and most shade tree mechanics don't have the right tools to repair the car correctly. Even if provided with the tools you need training to use them correctly.

Your brothers first mistake was not taking the car back to the shop that he gave the $180 to. If they did the work they should back it. If your brother paid to have the car fixed and the shop won't stand behind the work they did, call the board of automotive repair...

Next mistake is to replace parts one at a time until the problem is resolved... This is really what William is saying... There is a time for the pro's!!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode