327 engine problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

i have a 68 327 bored .030 over, 294 cam, too big? pete jackson gear drive, 1.94 heads fresh, edelbrock intake, holley 650 carb, hei distributor with new wires and new plugs, muncie 4 speed m20 and i dont know what kind of rear end. i can go about 50 in first gear. ok well my problem is it doesn't like to go from stand still tries to die. then when i do get it going and i get on it it bogs out but if i get the rpm's up then punch it it goes. but sometimes it bogs out. i have tried every thing any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 09:21 PM

Re-gear the differential.

50ish MPH in first sounds like you have 3.08's or so in the diff. With those gears and that cam, no wonder you are bogging out of the hole.

For any other info, please include tire size.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 01:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
I had a similar problem once, and the issue was with the accelerator pump on the carb.

Go to Holley's website. You should be able to download the instructions for setting the accelerator pump correctly.

Good luck.

www.holley.com

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 09:28 PM
Senior Tech

you'll need a friend to do it right.have him hold the throttle wide open(engine off )and press the accelerator pump arm (at the base of the adjusting nut)down hard with a flathead screw driver.while he's doing this set the gap between the adjusting screw and the accelerator pump arm to .015".pulling up slightly on the adjusting screw will help you gauge the gap more accurately
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Angry

thank you everybody for the help i am currently trying to install the 70's posi into my car but i will set the accelerator pump gap. thanks again [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 03, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

After you get the accelerator pump adjusted correctly and if you still have the issues, you may need to put some 3.73 gears in the back or cam down a bit.

327, big cam and low numerical gear ratio will run poorly for sure. Let us know if the carb adjustment works out for you.

-Mark.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 10:42 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Make sure it's an M20 not an M21. The M21 with you poor rear gear will make it even worse. The M20 has a lower first gear. You'll want to know for sure before you choose which rear end gears to install. You can get by with a little less rear gear with the M20.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

ok the accelerator pump adjustment didn't help out so i tried a holley 750 dual feed carb and it runs 100 times better also put posi rear end i believe to be 410 411 gears and its a m20 for sure is this good with my combinaton of stuff? thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode