Engine misfire help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
I'm just starting to break in my 383 and have an engine miss at part throttle. The motor has approx 10:1 compression, CC XE274 cam, MSD ready to run distributor. Timing is 12 initial with 21 mechanical advance. I have the light blue spring and light silver spring in the distributor so all my advance is by 3k rpm. I have the vacuum advance (15 deg) hooked to manifold vacuum. I'm running an edelbrock 600cfm carb to break the motor in. I'll eventually switch to a holley 750HP as soon as i figure out a dual feed fuel line issue i'm having. The engine seems to idle fine at about 900 rpm. I'm pulling about 10in of vacuum. When cruising at part throttle their is a noticeable miss as though a cylinder isn't firing. I'm looking for some troubleshooting tips.
thanks,
Greg

68 Island Teal
383/700r4
Hotchkis TVS with Global West UCA's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 06:20 AM
TRT
Senior Tech

Greg,

I had a similar probelm with mine (although a much milder combo; see below) This is what I did:
1. Put the distributor back to stock (springs and vacuum can)
2. Set the initial timing to 4 deg. just like a stock 350.
3. Started advancing the initial 2 deg at a time. Took the car for a ride. No problems; advance 2 more
I am currently a 8 deg advance. 12 was too much
4. Now I am working with the advance springs. I am using grudge nite at the local strip for this. I am slowly changing to lighter springs and then seeing how the car responds. For tonite, my total advance will be in by 2600. Last week was 2800. We'll see how she likes it.

So far, I've picked up 3 tenths over the stock springs and still no miss.

I guess my advice is to drop back to a very conservative tune and then slowly make changes, concentrating on one aspect at a time. See how the car responds.

Good Luck

The voice of dissent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode