knock/poor acceleration/backfire - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone;

I've got a '94 stock 6 and have run into a problem that I believe has to do with the spark plugs or wiring. The problem is nearly nonexistent at idle, but upon acceleration sometimes the rpm pause momentarily and the engine knocks around 1500-2000 rpm but stops above that. Also, there is a slight backfire once in a great while. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 03:55 AM
Senior Tech

It sounds like whatever it is, It should have caused a trouble code in the computer. I would start there. Possible cam sensor or something like that. Get it scanned for codes and go from there.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I already tried that, my computer seems unresponsive. Do you think a bad cam shaft sensor could cause that much havoc? What do you think about the spark plug wires? Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech

That could be the problem itself then. Sometimes a part of the diagnostic procedure use is to try to set a code to see if the computer is functioning. Only on very rare occasions Have I seen a problem occur with a late model car and a sode not set. Just make sure you can clear the code if you set it. If the computer does not respond as you stated then I would make sure ALL the fuses are good and I would lean towards a bad computer.(only buy these from the general)
Milan

Milan

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 02, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech

Now that I think about it I have seen TPS sensors intermittant open cause this and not set codes. What happens it the sensor goes open briefly and the computer interprets this as a closed throttle condition shuts down fuel(causing knock due to lean detonation). If you know your way around the wiring harness take an analog meter and follow the TPS sweep. Good luck!
Milan

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode