1994 3.4l Camaro - Voltage stuck at 9-11v, does not increase with RPM - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 13, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Brent

1994 3.4l Camaro - Voltage stuck at 9-11v, does not increase with RPM

So. My "Check Gages" light is on, and my voltage level on the dash is showing very low (seems to be down to 9v if I turn on the lights and roll down the windows, otherwise 10 or 11 volts).

Took it to WalMart and had them run the battery tester on it (was in a hurry), said the battery seemed to be OK but the voltage definitely wasn't picking up with RPM.

Strange thing is, while the voltage is low, it's been consistently low. Hasn't killed my car or battery yet. Just started last night.

Obvious thing is the Alternator, but I was also considering the voltage regulator (don't know if it's internal or external), and I was reading some people talking about the diodes. I don't have any electronics running in my car besides the ones needed to drive, I don't even listen to the stereo.

Anyone seen this problem before? I'm considering pulling the alternator and having it tested. I'm on a tight budget, so if I get an alternator, it will probably be a used one from a junk yard.

Last edited by BrentNewland; Aug 9th, 13 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Insert reason here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 13, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 1994 3.4l Camaro - Voltage stuck at 9-11v, does not increase with

Welcome, Brent.
The alternator is an internally regulated type and more than likely, faulty reg or as you suggest, a bad diode. I would lean towards the regulator and replace the brushes if I were doing it.
Probably the best route for you to take is get another alt. Yards do have a 30 day guarantee.

One trick you can do, take a screwdriver and lay it across the rear bearing case of the alt with it running. You should feel a magnetic pull on the screwdriver. No pull, no workie.
You might even measure voltage at the alt BATT stud to see if alt is working. If it is, then a wire disconnect between the stud and battery. Fuse blown?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alternator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode